HIPAA

1.  Contract Management

Posted 04-20-2017 12:04 PM
We are in the process of looking at contract management software including process workflow. Please let me know what systems you are using and your experience with them, including the implementation experience.

My e-mail is saking@apprhs.org.

Thanks,

Sherrie

------------------------------
Sherrie King
Compliance Auditor
Appalachian Regional Healthcare System
Boone,NC

2.  RE: Contract Management

Posted 04-20-2017 02:05 PM
We use MediTract and we love it.  Easy to find information and we put not only contracts in it but can attach the BAA agreements when applicable.

The implementation was tedious finding where all the contracts were housed, but well worth it.  I believe it took us about 6 months to feel like we have most everything in it.  Occasionally we still find a contract in a department, but that is happening very rarely now.  Lots of director education was given at the beginning.

Ann Dunham
MBA, SPHR, CHC, CHRC
Compliance Officer
Hannibal Regional Healthcare System
Hannibal, MO

3.  RE: Contract Management

Posted 04-21-2017 08:04 AM
It depends on your budget and intended scope of implementation. If you use Salesforce I'd recommend Apttus. If not, I'd recommend Emptoris. I've lead implementations of both. You can either use their teams or contract with consultants who are experts with the systems.

Contract Management Software | APTTUS
IBM Contract Management on Cloud

I've evaluated Agiloft, Advanced Software Concepts, Selectica and Trident as well but haven't experienced their systems outside of demo.

Before becoming Privacy Officer I was a Contracts Manager for 10 years.

Let me know if you'd like to chat - my email is aghm0501@gmail.com

Abby

Abby G. Mitchell CHC, CCMP, CHSP
Enterprise Risk Management and Privacy Officer

4.  RE: Contract Management

Posted 04-21-2017 09:03 AM
We use iContracts.  I sent you an e-mail with some additional information.  Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions.

Kimberly Alkire, CISSP, CHPC, HCISPP
HIPAA Compliance Manager
Parrish Medical Center
Titusville,FL

5.  RE: Contract Management

Posted 04-21-2017 09:23 AM

Let's also be clear on a very important point.  Many people may move to a contract management system because what they are currently using isn't working.  They typically fall into two categories...and for those of you who disagree...CALL ME OUT...but please also share your reason for doing so.

Category 1: No centralized system/process (Most common category) Essentially contracts are all over the place...some in Legal, some in Finance, some within the Depts, some at Corporate/HQ, etc, etc. Keep in mind that when you move to your new system...the most time you will spend is time that has not been spent for whatever reason in getting a full inventory of the contracts and then moving them to this new product.  Often the purchase of the product is the tipping point to finally getting this inventory process done which has gone unaddressed for some time.  It doesn't matter how wonderful this new system is or how "expert" the consultants may be…identification and an inventory process will need to occur if the implementation will include adding already executed contracts into this new system.

Category 2: All contracts are in a current system and are not being migrated to the new system (by far the smallest category) This may be due to requirements or needs that the company has identified that maybe the first system didn't do. For example, some contracting systems have modules that once you enter the name of the contracted party it may look up the party in the LEIE or EPLS to see if it is excluded. A feature that I actually worked with one company that specializes in contract management for healthcare entities (sorry…no names shall be offered for various reasons)

The reason I throw this in the mix is because so often people overlook or come to the realization during the actual implementation that a clean up activity is going to take place and this represents the largest time investment (and frustration factor).

Frank Ruelas

'