HIPAA

CHPC Preppers...Here's one...No Lookup Up

• 1.  CHPC Preppers...Here's one...No Lookup Up

Posted 02-13-2018 09:44 AM
    Scenario:

Patient Frank is requesting that his physician send a copy of his latest physical exam results to his employer (ABC Heavy Construction Company) because the employer wants to make sure that Frank can be removed from light duty.  To do this, Frank completes a valid authorization that was provided to him by the physician's front office staff.

Under HIPAA (in other words, not related to any State requirements that may apply)...

How long does the office staff have to process and send the requested information to Frank's employer as identified in the completed, valid authorization?

No lookup...honor system!

------------------------------
    ◘ Feb - Complete OCR Breach Reporting ◘
    -----------Frank Ruelas------------

• 2.  RE: CHPC Preppers...Here's one...No Lookup Up

Posted 02-13-2018 10:50 AM

I'm guessing...and it is a guess...30 days?

Best Regards,

Scot Lovejoy  CFP_XSLogo_BlBk 

Scot Lovejoy RPh. CFP CHC

Chief Pharmacy Officer

Privacy Officer

Agadia_itself (625x184) (625x184) (100x29)

9 Campus Drive, 2nd Floor East

Parisippany, N.J. 07054

(O) 973-540-8400  x227

(C) 973-570-3803

(F) 973-540-8440

Confidentiality Notice:  This e-mail is intended only for the person(s) to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is confidential, proprietary, privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure.  If you are not an intended recipient, please (i) do not read, copy or use this communication, or disclose it to others, (ii) notify the sender immediately by replying to the message, and (iii) delete the e-mail from your system.  Thank you.

• 3.  RE: CHPC Preppers...Here's one...No Lookup Up

Posted 02-14-2018 01:26 PM

I believe it is as soon as reasonably possible but no later than 30 days and if an extension is needed over that you need to notify the patient with why and you can extend for another 30 days. This is without looking it up so hopefully not too far off.

Erin Jack, RHIA, CHC, CHPC

Corporate Compliance Officer|Administration

532 W. Pittsburgh Street|Greensburg|PA 15601
    office
    |724-832-4072

cell|724-757-2349
    ejack@excelahealth.org

image002.png@01D075FB.23323B40

Confidentiality Notice: The documents accompanying this email transmittal in addition to the content of the email
    contain confidential information belonging to the sender. This information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above.
    The authorized recipient of this information is prohibited from disclosing this information to any other party.

If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or action taken in
    reliance on the contents of these documents is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email transmittal in error,
    please notify the sender immediately by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

• 4.  RE: CHPC Preppers...Here's one...No Lookup Up

Posted 02-13-2018 11:05 AM
    Honor system, and I may be way off here - ​The provider may release the PHI without the authorization of the patient, but, I believe, if they provided the authorization to the patient, then they have 30 days. I am a little hesitant though, as this is a "may" release not a "musty" release so could be totally off mark.

David Rothery, CHC
    Compliance Officer
    Marin County, CA

These are my personal opinions and not those of the County of Marin

• 5.  RE: CHPC Preppers...Here's one...No Lookup Up

Posted 02-13-2018 12:59 PM
    ​Thank you for pointing out my mistake Frank, I appreciate it.
    I made the basic exam taking error of not reading the question thoroughly. My comment was based on the recipient being a Covered Entity, which definitely is not the case here.

Again, appreciate the re-direction Frank.

David Rothery, CHC
    Compliance Officer
    Marin County, CA

These are my personal opinions and not those of the County of Marin

• 6.  RE: CHPC Preppers...Here's one...No Lookup Up

Posted 02-13-2018 11:30 AM

I think it's 30 days

Tammi Worrell, RHIA, MHA
    Compliance Coordinator
    1000 Ryland, Suite 203 Reno, NV  89502
    P: 775-982-4332
    F: 775-982-6478
    TWorrell@Renown.org

http://www.skillexpertiseandtechnology.com/emailtemplate_images/renown.gif

http://www.skillexpertiseandtechnology.com/emailtemplate_images/fb.gif

http://www.skillexpertiseandtechnology.com/emailtemplate_images/twit.gif

If you have received this message by error, please notify the sender immediately to arrange for return or destruction of these documents. This message is intended for the use of the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged and confidential, the disclosure of which is governed by applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this information is strictly prohibited.

• 7.  RE: CHPC Preppers...Here's one...No Lookup Up

Posted 02-13-2018 01:25 PM

I think 30 days, and is there maybe a provision that an extension of that 30 days could be allowed under certain circumstances?

The contents of this message may contain private, protected and/or privileged information. If you received this message in error, you should destroy the e-mail message and any attachments or copies, and you are prohibited from retaining, distributing, disclosing or using any information contained within. Please contact the sender and advise of the erroneous delivery by return e-mail or telephone. Thank you for your cooperation.

• 8.  RE: CHPC Preppers...Here's one...No Lookup Up

Posted 02-13-2018 03:00 PM
    ​30 days unless the record is stored off site in storage and then you have up to 60 days

Brittanie Terrell, MS
    HIPAA Privacy and Security Officer

• 9.  RE: CHPC Preppers...Here's one...No Lookup Up

Posted 02-13-2018 03:23 PM
    Guessing 30 with the process of an extension (? another 30 days) if for a reasonable explanation of why cannot be produced that quickly.

Marie Wagner CHC
    Sr. Corp Compliance Coord
    The Queen's Health Systems
    Honolulu,HI

• 10.  RE: CHPC Preppers...Here's one...No Lookup Up

Posted 02-13-2018 06:13 PM
    I agree with Marie and others, if an authorization has been used then you have 30 days with the option for another 30 days extension. But why go the authorization route. The patient can request a copy of his exam results, and have them sent to wherever he/she wants, without getting all that authorization regulation stuff involved. Using the request, I believe the CE has to respond in a reasonable time. I don't recall a time period. Now that I have posted I'm going to look it up.

Carl Russell
    Compliance Analyst
    Delta Dental of Idaho
    Boise,ID

Anything I say is my sole opinion and not of my company.

• 11.  RE: CHPC Preppers...Here's one...No Lookup Up

Posted 02-13-2018 06:22 PM
    OK, looked it up. I had things flipped upside down. I won't say anymore. Don't want to spoil it (too much).

Carl Russell
    Compliance Analyst
    Delta Dental of Idaho
    Boise,ID

Anything I say is my sole opinion and not of my company.

• 12.  RE: CHPC Preppers...Here's one...No Lookup Up

Posted 02-14-2018 03:02 PM
    ​I'm guessing 30 days

Shannon Creekmur MPH
    Austin,TX

• 13.  RE: CHPC Preppers...Here's one...No Lookup Up

Posted 02-15-2018 05:18 PM
    If an authorization is used, there is no time limit identified by the rule.

If the request is taken as an access or copy request, then there is a 30 day limit with one extension of another 30 days with a total of 60 days to provide the access/copy.

I often get these mixed up because when I was providing HIPAA support in for the DoD, the Air Force had stricter timelines for providing the records under a signed authorization form.

Hernan Serrano
    Compliance Manager
    HIPAAtrek
    St Louis,Mo