HIPAA

Subject: Likelihood Your PHI was Breached...What say you?

1.  Likelihood Your PHI was Breached...What say you?

Posted 11 days ago
Let's ask this again as lately there are lots of headlines about breaches and I want to keep it simple.  So if you are of the "need more info" position or need more specificity...simply pass but I think most people can answer as follows.

Question: Please answer by indicating the letter of your response.

From the time that HIPAA was implemented, what do you think is the likelihood (percentage) that your PHI has been breached (some of you may know the percentage is 100% because maybe you received a notification letter) to include that you either were not notified because an actual breach was incorrectly assessed as not a breach or that a CE with your PHI never discovered it.

1. Less than 25%
  2. 26% - 50%
  3. 51% - 75%
  4. 76% - 99%
  5. 100%

I'll get this started and offer that my guess for my PHI is: D.

What say you?

------------------------------
Frank Ruelas

2.  RE: Likelihood Your PHI was Breached...What say you?

Posted 11 days ago
I agree D.  But E for impermissible because I've witnessed it!!!!! Numerous times! (Sometimes politely addressing and sometimes not due to circumstances or just not in the mood to address!!)

Linda Mullany, RN, JD, CHPC
Gordon & Rees, LLP
Napa, CA

The views expressed herein are my own and do not represent those of my employer or clients. They are not meant to constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationshipCHPCHealthcare AttorneyHealthcare AttorneyHealthcare Attorney

3.  RE: Likelihood Your PHI was Breached...What say you?

Posted 11 days ago
I'll say C, although I am one of those 100%ers.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

4.  RE: Likelihood Your PHI was Breached...What say you?

Posted 11 days ago
​I would say "D" for my PHI but would without a doubt say "E" for PII.

Maryrose Welch CHC
Chief Compliance/Privacy Officer
Riverland Medical Center
Ferriday,LA

5.  RE: Likelihood Your PHI was Breached...What say you?

Posted 11 days ago
Keep those responses coming!  Good insight and comments!

Frank Ruelas

6.  RE: Likelihood Your PHI was Breached...What say you?

Posted 11 days ago

I am going with C

The contents of this message may contain private, protected and/or privileged information. If you received this message in error, you should destroy the e-mail message and any attachments or copies, and you are prohibited from retaining, distributing, disclosing or using any information contained within. Please contact the sender and advise of the erroneous delivery by return e-mail or telephone. Thank you for your cooperation.

7.  RE: Likelihood Your PHI was Breached...What say you?

Posted 10 days ago
E. I've reached 2 breach notification letters.

Brenda Manning, JD, CHC, CHPC

The views expressed herein are my own and do not represent those of my employer. They are not meant to constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship.

8.  RE: Likelihood Your PHI was Breached...What say you?

Posted 11 days ago

Considering the incompetency and disorganization I have seen at my PCP and cardiologist I'm going with D.

Michael Scudillo 
Chief Compliance Officer/Privacy Officer

15 Microlab Road
Suite 101 • Livingston, New Jersey 07039

P: 1-973-992-8181 X26 • F: 1-973-992-9797 &#8226C: 1-973-699-4964
www.uirehab.com

This email and any attachments may contain information that is confidential, proprietary and/or privileged. It is intended only for the use of the person(s) and entity(ies) to whom it is addressed. If you are the intended recipient, further disclosures are prohibited without proper authorization. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, printing or use of this information is strictly prohibited and possibly a violation of the health insurance portability and accountability act (HIPAA) and other federal and state laws and regulations. If you have received this information in error please contact Universal Institute at 973-992-8181 ext. 26 or via email at michael.scudillo@uirehab.commichael.scudillo@uirehab.com> and delete the material from all computers. michael.scudillo@uirehab.com>

9.  RE: Likelihood Your PHI was Breached...What say you?

Posted 11 days ago
​My guess is E.

Malinda Turner
Compliance/Privacy Director
Grant Memorial Hospital
Petersburg,WV

10.  RE: Likelihood Your PHI was Breached...What say you?

Posted 11 days ago

I would say D (probably E)!

Cinda

******************************************* This message and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.

11.  RE: Likelihood Your PHI was Breached...What say you?

Posted 11 days ago

Definitely E.  I've gotten a letter

Tammi Worrell, RHIA, MHA
Compliance Coordinator
1000 Ryland, Suite 203 Reno, NV  89502
P: 775-982-4332
F: 775-982-6478
TWorrell@Renown.org

http://www.skillexpertiseandtechnology.com/emailtemplate_images/renown.gif

http://www.skillexpertiseandtechnology.com/emailtemplate_images/fb.gif

http://www.skillexpertiseandtechnology.com/emailtemplate_images/twit.gif

If you have received this message by error, please notify the sender immediately to arrange for return or destruction of these documents. This message is intended for the use of the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged and confidential, the disclosure of which is governed by applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this information is strictly prohibited.

12.  RE: Likelihood Your PHI was Breached...What say you?

Posted 11 days ago

C

Sherrie A. King

Compliance Auditor

Appalachian Regional Healthcare System

828-263-1207

saking@apprhs.org

Compliance Hotline: 1-800-656-7743

CorporateCompliance@apprhs.org

Them has left the building, it's just Us.

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us."

Marianne Williamson

This document may contain information covered under the Privacy Act, 5 USC 552(a), and/or the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (PL 104-191) and its various implementing regulations and must be protected in accordance with those provisions. Healthcare information is personal and sensitive and must be treated accordingly. If this correspondence contains healthcare information it is being provided to you after appropriate authorization. You, the recipient, are obligated to maintain it in a safe, secure and confidential manner. Redisclosure without additional patient consent or without legal basis is prohibited. Unauthorized redisclosure or failure to maintain confidentiality subjects you to application of appropriate sanctions. If you have received this correspondence in error, please notify the sender at once and destroy any copies you have made.

­­  

13.  RE: Likelihood Your PHI was Breached...What say you?

Posted 11 days ago

B

14.  RE: Likelihood Your PHI was Breached...What say you?

Posted 11 days ago
I don't have much PHI out there, so I'd say for my PHI it's B.

David Garrison CHC,CHPC
Compliance/Privacy Officer
SEARHC
Juneau,AK

15.  RE: Likelihood Your PHI was Breached...What say you?

Posted 11 days ago

D

16.  RE: Likelihood Your PHI was Breached...What say you?

Posted 11 days ago
I'll go with D, with the very slight hope that it's not E

Marie Wagner CHC
Sr. Corp Compliance Coord
The Queen's Health Systems
Honolulu,HI

17.  RE: Likelihood Your PHI was Breached...What say you?

Posted 11 days ago
For our ePHI customers - D;  PII customers  - E.  Caveat:  sometimes attempting to convince PHI customers that there is "more than a low risk of compromise" is a thankless task😀

Julia Huddleston
CFO/COO
Apgar and Associates, LLC
Portland,OR

18.  RE: Likelihood Your PHI was Breached...What say you?

Posted 8 days ago
​I have received two breach notification letters along with the offer of credit monitoring.

Diane Adams AAS,CHC
Sr HIPAA Privacy Coordinator
Palmetto Health
Columbia,SC

19.  RE: Likelihood Your PHI was Breached...What say you?

Posted 8 days ago
​My answer is E.

Diane Adams AAS,CHC
Sr HIPAA Privacy Coordinator
Palmetto Health
Columbia,SC

20.  RE: Likelihood Your PHI was Breached...What say you?

Posted 8 days ago
​I'd say "D" for PHI and definitely "E" for PII (can you say "Equifax"?)!

Dr. Randy Lewis, LMFT, CHPC
HIPAA Privacy Officer
Orange County Government
Orlando, FL

21.  RE: Likelihood Your PHI was Breached...What say you?

Posted 8 days ago
Randy (and others) FYI I went online and Equifax, if you trust their accuracy, has a portal where you can inquire whether your data was part of the Equifax breach or not, and if so they offer monitoring services.

Sent from my iPad

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Alabama * Arizona * California * Colorado * Connecticut * Florida * Georgia * Illinois * Maryland * Massachusetts * Missouri * Nevada * New Jersey * New York * North Carolina * Ohio * Oregon * Pennsylvania * South Carolina * South Dakota * Texas * Virginia * Washington * Washington, DC * West Virginia 

This email communication may contain CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION WHICH ALSO MAY BE LEGALLY PRIVILEGED and is intended only for the use of the intended recipients identified above. If you are not the intended recipient of this communication, you are hereby notified that any unauthorized review, use, dissemination, distribution, downloading, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient and have received this communication in error, please immediately notify us by reply email, delete the communication and destroy all copies.

GORDON & REES LLP
http://www.gordonrees.com

22.  RE: Likelihood Your PHI was Breached...What say you?

Posted 8 days ago
I'll say D, with the full understanding that's it's probably E.

Carly Borenkind, LCSW
Compliance Officer- JASA
247 W. 37th Street 9th Floor
New York, NY 10018
Ph: 212.273.5296
eFax: 929.299.1132

Compliance Concerns can be reported anonymously, if desired, through the Compliance Hotline at 212-273-5288 or click here.  Concerns can also be emailed to complianceconcerns@jasa.org

www.jasa.org

Confidentiality Notice:  This e-mail is intended only for the person(s) to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is confidential, proprietary, privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure.  If you are not an intended recipient, please (i) do not read, copy or use this communication, or disclose it to others, (ii) notify the sender immediately by replying to the message, and (iii) delete the e-mail from your system.  JASA's Privacy officer can be reached at 212-273-5296.

23.  RE: Likelihood Your PHI was Breached...What say you?

Posted 8 days ago
​As a patient with a chronic disease, I have had multiple situations in which my PHI was either outright breached or subject to impermissible disclosure. I made the decision when I moved to this remote area that I would rather forfeit my privacy for convenience because I don't want to have to drive 100+ miles for my health care. Plus, I'm comfortable that the care here is very good (but it's a small town). I just always hope for the best.

Sally Sheehy
Compliance Coordinator
Grande Ronde Hospital
La Grande,OR

24.  RE: Likelihood Your PHI was Breached...What say you?

Posted 5 days ago
D

Sent from Sandra's iPhone

--------------------------------------
This message contains information that may be confidential and privileged. Unless you are the addressee (or authorized to receive on behalf of the addressee), you may not use, copy, forward, or disclose to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received the message in error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail and to internethelp@kennedyhealth.org, and delete the message. Thank you.