HIPAA

Use, Disclosure, and Access understanding the distinctions and applications Session Request

• 1.  Use, Disclosure, and Access understanding the distinctions and applications Session Request

Posted 01-11-2018 03:37 PM
    ​Hello All:

Would anyone else be interested in Frank Ruelas creating one of his wonderful sessions on the distinction among the meanings of the terms use, disclosure, and access in HIPAA?  The session would also provide examples (hypotheticals) and how to apply these terms in their application to risk assessment.  I certainly would love this session, and I hope others in this community would voice their interest in this kind of session too.  If at least 50 other people would express an interest, I think that would be a good showing for Frank to consider creating this session.  Thank you in advance for expressing your interest.

------------------------------
    Kristi Faulkner JD
    Corporate Compliance Officer
    Covenant Surgical Partners
    Nashville,TN

• 2.  RE: Use, Disclosure, and Access understanding the distinctions and applications Session Request

Posted 01-11-2018 07:11 PM
    I am always interested in Frank's sessions. Count me in!

Julie Sours, MHA, CPCO, HCISPP
    Senior Associate, Information Security and Privacy
    Heartland Alliance for Human Needs and Human Rights
    Chicago, IL

The views expressed herein are my own and do not represent those of my employer.

• 3.  RE: Use, Disclosure, and Access understanding the distinctions and applications Session Request

Posted 01-12-2018 09:44 AM

Me too. I am always interested in his sessions and learn something from him every time, even if the subject matter is a repeat of a previous session. I would be interested.

The contents of this message may contain private, protected and/or privileged information. If you received this message in error, you should destroy the e-mail message and any attachments or copies, and you are prohibited from retaining, distributing, disclosing or using any information contained within. Please contact the sender and advise of the erroneous delivery by return e-mail or telephone. Thank you for your cooperation.

• 4.  RE: Use, Disclosure, and Access understanding the distinctions and applications Session Request

Posted 01-12-2018 09:47 AM

Echoing the same response as many others – I would be interested also.

Anne LeMere, RN, BSN, CHPN
    Compliance and Privacy Officer

Unity Hospice
    2366 Oak Ridge Circle
    De Pere, WI 54115-9207
    Main: 920-338-1111 | Direct: 920-339-6787
    www.unityhospice.org

Learn More:

Care Programs | Education | Donate

Follow Us:

Facebook | LinkedIn | Google+

• 5.  RE: Use, Disclosure, and Access understanding the distinctions and applications Session Request

Posted 01-24-2018 08:02 AM
    ​Please share the following.  We have a nice interest level listed in the eGroup about a session focused on a discussion and the development of a practical understanding of the terms Access, Acquisition, Use, and Disclosure.  I find this very encouraging especially because this may be very useful for some of our newer compliance professionals that are venturing into the HIPAA space.

That said...please post your ideas about the following (note, date and time will be posted in this eGroup and there is no survey to sign up, etc...this way, if someone is interested, even at the last minute...they or anyone can join as this is OPEN TO ALL!).

This discussion squarely falls into the Breach Notification Rules (Subpart D)...quick, someone tell me what or how the citations to the Breach Notification Rules are numbered...is also related to the Security Rule...which in turn is very related to HIPAA...as in 100% related.

I'm thinking, we can easily develop the discussion into a session that could provide an opportunity for people to attend and then apply individually for potentially 1.0 live CEUs.

With that in mind...what say you about this idea?

◘ Jan - Organize Email Inbox and Folders ◘
    -----------Frank Ruelas------------

• 6.  RE: Use, Disclosure, and Access understanding the distinctions and applications Session Request

Posted 01-24-2018 01:53 PM
    I'm interested!

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Alabama * Arizona * California * Colorado * Connecticut * Florida * Georgia * Illinois * Maryland * Massachusetts * Missouri * Nevada * New Jersey * New York * North Carolina * Ohio * Oregon * Pennsylvania * South Carolina * South Dakota * Texas * Virginia * Washington * Washington, DC * West Virginia 

This email communication may contain CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION WHICH ALSO MAY BE LEGALLY PRIVILEGED and is intended only for the use of the intended recipients identified above. If you are not the intended recipient of this communication, you are hereby notified that any unauthorized review, use, dissemination, distribution, downloading, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient and have received this communication in error, please immediately notify us by reply email, delete the communication and destroy all copies.

GORDON REES SCULLY MANSUKHANI, LLP
    http://www.grsm.com

• 7.  RE: Use, Disclosure, and Access understanding the distinctions and applications Session Request

Posted 01-25-2018 07:57 AM
    ​I say YES!

Any time I am driven back to the regs it reinforces my knowledge of HIPAA.

Dr. Randy Lewis, LMFT, CHPC
    HIPAA Privacy Officer
    Orange County Government
    Orlando, FL

• 8.  RE: Use, Disclosure, and Access understanding the distinctions and applications Session Request

Posted 01-26-2018 02:13 AM
    Yes, interested. Sounds like a great learning opportunity.

Dawn Steele CHC, CIPP
    Sr Compliance Coordinator
    Northwestern Memorial HealthCare
    Chicago, IL

• 9.  RE: Use, Disclosure, and Access understanding the distinctions and applications Session Request

Posted 01-26-2018 09:29 AM
    ​I'm interested as well.  Thank you!

A Hompertz
    Roseville,CA

• 10.  RE: Use, Disclosure, and Access understanding the distinctions and applications Session Request

Posted 01-26-2018 09:57 AM
    ​Very interested.  Thank you.

Susan O'Hara CHPC
    Privacy Officer
    Avera McKennan Hospital
    Sioux Falls,SD

• 11.  RE: Use, Disclosure, and Access understanding the distinctions and applications Session Request

Posted 01-11-2018 10:54 PM
    Kristi,

A very interesting idea indeed!  I think all of us could benefit on some level to revisit these terms and share how to apply them in a manner that is consistent with the regulations to include from a practical perspective.  I like it.

Thanks for posting...I'm in and I think we have a few other possibilities that can make this very much worth our time.  Let's see what interest (or not!) we get.

• 12.  RE: Use, Disclosure, and Access understanding the distinctions and applications Session Request

Posted 01-11-2018 10:58 PM
    Count me in!

Jennifer Carpenter, CHC, CCEP
    Director of Compliance
    Lone Star Community Health Center
    Conroe, Texas

• 13.  RE: Use, Disclosure, and Access understanding the distinctions and applications Session Request

Posted 01-12-2018 09:06 AM
    ​I would be interested as well.

Moira Wertheimer, RN, Esq., CPHRM, FASHRM
    AVP Healthcare Risk Management
    Allied World
    Farmington,CT
    Opinions are my own

• 14.  RE: Use, Disclosure, and Access understanding the distinctions and applications Session Request

Posted 01-12-2018 10:02 AM

I always learn something in Frank's sessions, so I'm in!

Best Regards,

Scot Lovejoy  CFP_XSLogo_BlBk 

Scot Lovejoy RPh. CFP CHC

Chief Pharmacy Officer

Privacy Officer

Agadia_itself (625x184) (625x184) (100x29)

9 Campus Drive, 2nd Floor East

Parisippany, N.J. 07054

(O) 973-540-8400  x227

(C) 973-570-3803

(F) 973-540-8440

Confidentiality Notice:  This e-mail is intended only for the person(s) to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is confidential, proprietary, privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure.  If you are not an intended recipient, please (i) do not read, copy or use this communication, or disclose it to others, (ii) notify the sender immediately by replying to the message, and (iii) delete the e-mail from your system.  Thank you.

• 15.  RE: Use, Disclosure, and Access understanding the distinctions and applications Session Request

Posted 01-12-2018 10:28 AM

Count me in as well.

Karin Butikofer CHPC
    Manager of Privacy & Compliance
    Athletico, Ltd
    Oak Brook,IL

• 16.  RE: Use, Disclosure, and Access understanding the distinctions and applications Session Request

Posted 01-12-2018 10:49 AM

I'm interested.  I have been responding on the listserv online and realized earlier this week that my posts don't seem to actually be going out.   Not sure if this one will reach anyone in cyberspace.  Thank you.  Diane

Diane Pringle MSN, CHC

Compliance/Privacy/Ethics Officer

Corporate Compliance

dipringl@conemaugh.org

O: 814.410.8421

C: 814.421.2779

F: 814.410.8275

1086 Franklin Street

Johnstown, PA 15905

www.conemaugh.org

Making Communities Healthier.

The information transmitted via this e-mail is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or proprietary information. Any use, review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or pursuing of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. If you are the recipient of this e-mail transmission in error, please reply to the sender and delete the material from any computer. Thank you.

• 17.  RE: Use, Disclosure, and Access understanding the distinctions and applications Session Request

Posted 01-12-2018 11:36 AM

I definitely interested

Tammi Worrell, RHIA, MHA
    Compliance Coordinator
    1000 Ryland, Suite 203 Reno, NV  89502
    P: 775-982-4332
    F: 775-982-6478
    TWorrell@Renown.org

http://www.skillexpertiseandtechnology.com/emailtemplate_images/renown.gif

http://www.skillexpertiseandtechnology.com/emailtemplate_images/fb.gif

http://www.skillexpertiseandtechnology.com/emailtemplate_images/twit.gif

If you have received this message by error, please notify the sender immediately to arrange for return or destruction of these documents. This message is intended for the use of the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged and confidential, the disclosure of which is governed by applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this information is strictly prohibited.

• 18.  RE: Use, Disclosure, and Access understanding the distinctions and applications Session Request

Posted 01-12-2018 12:47 PM

Very interested!!

Alabama * Arizona * California * Colorado * Connecticut * Florida * Georgia * Illinois * Maryland * Massachusetts * Missouri * Nebraska * Nevada * New Jersey * New York * North Carolina * Ohio * Oregon * Pennsylvania * South Carolina * South Dakota * Texas * Virginia * Washington * Washington, DC * West Virginia

This email communication may contain CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION WHICH ALSO MAY BE LEGALLY PRIVILEGED and is intended only
    for the use of the intended recipients identified above. If you are not the intended recipient of this communication, you are hereby notified that any unauthorized review, use, dissemination, distribution, downloading, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient and have received this communication in error, please immediately notify us by reply email, delete the communication and destroy all copies.

GORDON REES SCULLY MANSUKHANI, LLP
    http://www.grsm.com

• 19.  RE: Use, Disclosure, and Access understanding the distinctions and applications Session Request

Posted 01-12-2018 03:38 PM

Since Frank has expressed a willingness to facilitate this learning opportunity, let's do this!!!

Sherrie

Sherrie A. King

Compliance Auditor

Appalachian Regional Healthcare System

828-263-1207

saking@apprhs.org

Report Issues to:

CorporateCompliance@apprhs.org

Hotline 1-800-656-7743 (You do not have to give your name)

"Compliance is not the No department. Compliance is the Know department." SCCE,2017

This document may contain information covered under the Privacy Act, 5 USC 552(a), and/or the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (PL 104-191) and its various implementing regulations and must be protected in accordance with those provisions. Healthcare information is personal and sensitive and must be treated accordingly. If this correspondence contains healthcare information it is being provided to you after appropriate authorization. You, the recipient, are obligated to maintain it in a safe, secure and confidential manner. Redisclosure without additional patient consent or without legal basis is prohibited. Unauthorized redisclosure or failure to maintain confidentiality subjects you to application of appropriate sanctions. If you have received this correspondence in error, please notify the sender at once and destroy any copies you have made.

­­  

• 20.  RE: Use, Disclosure, and Access understanding the distinctions and applications Session Request

Posted 01-13-2018 10:19 AM
    Looks like we may hit the target...thanks again Kristi for suggesting this.

This may not get deep into the risk assessment process because it goes to a much more important aspect in my view.  It will assist in developing from a practical approach the meaning of these fundamental terms which we are seeing based on responses from folks both new and not so new on HIPAA to include folks with various qualifications, credentials, and certifications that many if not all of us could benefit by a collaborative session in discussing these terms.

Let's see if we hit the mark.

• 21.  RE: Use, Disclosure, and Access understanding the distinctions and applications Session Request

Posted 01-13-2018 11:15 AM
    I'm interested

Sent from my iPhone
    This email and any attachments may contain information that is confidential, proprietary and/or privileged. It is intended only for the use of the person(s) and entity(ies) to whom it is addressed. If you are the intended recipient, further disclosures are prohibited without proper authorization. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, printing or use of this information is strictly prohibited and possibly a violation of the health insurance portability and accountability act (HIPAA) and other federal and state laws and regulations. If you have received this information in error please contact Universal Institute at 973-992-8181 ext. 26 or via email at michael.scudillo@uirehab.com and delete the material from all computers.

• 22.  RE: Use, Disclosure, and Access understanding the distinctions and applications Session Request

Posted 01-14-2018 09:56 PM
    You're welcome.

Kristi Faulkner JD
    Corporate Compliance Officer
    Covenant Surgical Partners
    Nashville,TN

• 23.  RE: Use, Disclosure, and Access understanding the distinctions and applications Session Request

Posted 01-15-2018 09:45 AM
    This would be great Frank. I'd be interested in a taped video/audio presentation, rather than a Friday webinar, it that were possible. Fridays are always difficult for me to cut out a chunk of time.

Carl Russell
    Compliance Analyst
    Delta Dental of Idaho
    Boise,ID

Anything I say is my sole opinion and not of my company.

• 24.  RE: Use, Disclosure, and Access understanding the distinctions and applications Session Request

Posted 01-15-2018 09:48 AM
    Carl...just to be sure I appreciate what you are stating.

Would you opt for a taped/video of the content or a taped/video recording of a session which involved input and interaction by those that attended it alive?

Thanks for clarifying.

• 25.  RE: Use, Disclosure, and Access understanding the distinctions and applications Session Request

Posted 01-17-2018 12:41 PM
    Frank, to be fair to others who may not desire their interactions be recorded, a taped/video of the content would do. If I knew beforehand that my participation in a webinar was being recorded, especially if it included my voice, I probably would keep quiet. I would hate to admit to the world that I was deficient in some area of HIPAA. It might come back to bite me.

Carl Russell
    Compliance Analyst
    Delta Dental of Idaho
    Boise,ID

Anything I say is my sole opinion and not of my company.

• 26.  RE: Use, Disclosure, and Access understanding the distinctions and applications Session Request

Posted 01-15-2018 12:01 PM

I am interested, if I haven't already responded. Long morning...

The contents of this message may contain private, protected and/or privileged information. If you received this message in error, you should destroy the e-mail message and any attachments or copies, and you are prohibited from retaining, distributing, disclosing or using any information contained within. Please contact the sender and advise of the erroneous delivery by return e-mail or telephone. Thank you for your cooperation.

• 27.  RE: Use, Disclosure, and Access understanding the distinctions and applications Session Request

Posted 01-15-2018 03:36 PM

Please add me to the list!

Thanks,

Brenda

-------> ##################################### This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain private, proprietary, or legally privileged information. No privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it, and notify the sender. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient. Health First reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks. Any views or opinions expressed in this message are solely those of the individual sender, except (1) where the message states such views or opinions are on behalf of a particular entity; and (2) the sender is authorized by the entity to give such views or opinions. #####################################

• 28.  RE: Use, Disclosure, and Access understanding the distinctions and applications Session Request

Posted 01-16-2018 09:00 AM

Add me please.

Charlie

Charles E. Colitre, BBA, CHC, CHPC

Compliance and Privacy Officer

Crystal Clinic Orthopaedic Center

3925 Embassy Parkway, Ste 250

Akron, OH 44333

330 670-6123

Note: The enclosed information is STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL and is intended for the use of the intended recipient only. Federal and Ohio laws protect any patient information that may be disclosed in this e-mail. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this communication in error and that any review, use, dissemination, distribution, disclosure, or copying of the contents is prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and return all printed copies by US Mail to: Crystal Clinic Orthopaedic Center, 3925 Embassy Parkway, Suite 250, Akron, OH 44333, Attention, HIPAA Privacy Officer.

• 29.  RE: Use, Disclosure, and Access understanding the distinctions and applications Session Request

Posted 01-16-2018 09:32 AM
    I hope I'm not too late to the Party but I would be interested in this as well.

Lisa Hanson CHC
    Director of Q.A. and Compliance
    Mental Health Association in Ulster County, Inc.
    Lake Katrine,NY

• 30.  RE: Use, Disclosure, and Access understanding the distinctions and applications Session Request

Posted 01-17-2018 11:25 AM
    ​Frank,

May have missed the deadline but just found this, I'm interested.

Thank-you!

Judith Beda CHC,CHPC
    Assistant Compliance Officer
    Central Florida Health
    Leesburg,FL

• 31.  RE: Use, Disclosure, and Access understanding the distinctions and applications Session Request

Posted 01-12-2018 07:25 AM
    ​Interested

Brittanie Terrell, MS
    HIPAA Privacy and Security Officer

• 32.  RE: Use, Disclosure, and Access understanding the distinctions and applications Session Request

Posted 01-12-2018 07:42 AM
    I'm interested.

Carly Borenkind, LCSW
    Compliance Officer- JASA
    247 W. 37th Street 9th Floor
    New York, NY 10018
    Ph: 212.273.5296
    eFax: 929.299.1132

Compliance Concerns can be reported anonymously, if desired, through the Compliance Hotline at 212-273-5288 or click here.  Concerns can also be emailed to complianceconcerns@jasa.org

On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 7:24 AM, Brittanie Terrell via Society of Corporate Compliance and Ethics

• 33.  RE: Use, Disclosure, and Access understanding the distinctions and applications Session Request

Posted 01-12-2018 08:43 AM

Interested

Thank you,

Sharon Taylor, RN, MS, CIC, CPHRM, CHC, CHPC        

Director Risk Management/ Accreditation Services

Burgess Health Center

1600 Diamond Street

Onawa, IA 51040

Tel: 712-423-9248

Fax: 712-423-9322

E-mail: staylor@burgesshc.org

image017.jpg@01CD7F97.28704CD0

Quality Care You Can Believe In

Electronic Mail Confidentiality Notice:

This electronic mail message and all attachments may contain confidential information belonging to the sender or the intended recipient. This information is intended ONLY for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution (electronic or otherwise), forwarding or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic transmission in error, please immediately notify the sender by telephone, facsimile, or email to arrange for the return of the electronic mail, attachments, or documents.

• 34.  RE: Use, Disclosure, and Access understanding the distinctions and applications Session Request

Posted 01-12-2018 09:25 AM
    Interested!

Mark Thush JD
    Attorney at Law
    Mark Thush PA
    Longwood,FL

• 35.  RE: Use, Disclosure, and Access understanding the distinctions and applications Session Request

Posted 01-15-2018 10:58 AM
    I would DEFINITELY be interested in this!

Kitty Locke BSN RN RAC-CT CHC
    Compliance & Privacy Officer
    National HealthCare Corporation
    Murfreesboro, TN

• 36.  RE: Use, Disclosure, and Access understanding the distinctions and applications Session Request

Posted 01-12-2018 08:24 AM

I am always up for any and all Frank sessions.

Thanks Kristi!

M. Colleen Golden, M.S., M.J., CCEP, CHC

<a href=image001.png@01D2EE87.25423FA0">

• 37.  RE: Use, Disclosure, and Access understanding the distinctions and applications Session Request

Posted 01-12-2018 08:54 AM
    ​Definitely!

Terri Pierce CHPC
    Privacy Officer
    Hattiesburg,MS

• 38.  RE: Use, Disclosure, and Access understanding the distinctions and applications Session Request

Posted 01-12-2018 08:57 AM

I am always interested in Frank's sessions.

Thank you,

Kris A.

Kris Anderson, RHIT, CCS
    Quality/Privacy Officer
    Tri-County Health Care
    Wadena, MN 56482

• 39.  RE: Use, Disclosure, and Access understanding the distinctions and applications Session Request

Posted 01-12-2018 08:57 AM
    ​I am interested in this as well. I have not attended a Frank session in which I have not learned new or different.  Thanks.

Lloyd Hemmert MS
    Compliance & Ethics Officer
    Hill Country MHDD Centers
    Kerrville,TX
    [lhemmert@hillcountry.org]

• 40.  RE: Use, Disclosure, and Access understanding the distinctions and applications Session Request

Posted 01-12-2018 09:00 AM
    Interested!
    Thanks
    Daynee

Daynee Perez CHPC
    Compliance Director
    Asembia
    Florham Park,NJ

• 41.  RE: Use, Disclosure, and Access understanding the distinctions and applications Session Request

Posted 01-12-2018 09:12 AM
    ​Interested!!

Christina Hendricks, CHC
    Compliance Coordinator / Health Plan Privacy Officer
    Crystal Clinic Orthopaedic Center
    Akron, OH

• 42.  RE: Use, Disclosure, and Access understanding the distinctions and applications Session Request

Posted 01-12-2018 09:18 AM

I would be interested.

Erin Jack, RHIA, CHC, CHPC

Corporate Compliance Officer|Administration

532 W. Pittsburgh Street|Greensburg|PA 15601
    office
    |724-832-4072

cell|724-757-2349
    ejack@excelahealth.org

image002.png@01D075FB.23323B40

Confidentiality Notice: The documents accompanying this email transmittal in addition to the content of the email
    contain confidential information belonging to the sender. This information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above.
    The authorized recipient of this information is prohibited from disclosing this information to any other party.

If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or action taken in
    reliance on the contents of these documents is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email transmittal in error,
    please notify the sender immediately by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

• 43.  RE: Use, Disclosure, and Access understanding the distinctions and applications Session Request

Posted 01-12-2018 09:42 AM

I would be interested. I always learn something new in the interactive, fast paced Frank sessions!

RaeAnn Isaacson

Privacy Officer

This message and accompanying documents are covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. sections 2510-2521, and contain information intended for the specified individual(s) only. This information is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this document in error and that any review, dissemination, copying, or the taking of any action based on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail, and delete the original message.

• 44.  RE: Use, Disclosure, and Access understanding the distinctions and applications Session Request

Posted 01-12-2018 10:00 AM
    ​I would appreciate it.

Cari Becker RHIT
    Compliance Officer/HIM Director
    Perry Memorial Hosp
    Princeton,IL

• 45.  RE: Use, Disclosure, and Access understanding the distinctions and applications Session Request

Posted 01-12-2018 11:57 AM

I'm interested

Thanks Kathy

• 46.  RE: Use, Disclosure, and Access understanding the distinctions and applications Session Request

Posted 01-12-2018 12:11 PM
    ​I am not familiar with what it means to attend a session by Frank, but I am interested in finding out more.  Good topic.

Dawn Steele CHC, CIPP
    Sr Compliance Coordinator
    Northwestern Memorial HealthCare
    Chicago, IL

• 47.  RE: Use, Disclosure, and Access understanding the distinctions and applications Session Request

Posted 01-12-2018 12:18 PM
    Believe me if you have the chance its worth the time. He explains concepts and ideas about as good as anyone.  I make it a point to have our privacy officers attend.

AS

Alicia Sanchez MD
    Pediatrician
    Aurora,CO