HIPAA

Help HIPAA training

• 1.  Help HIPAA training

Posted 09-23-2020 12:32 PM
    I discovered this morning a fairly new employee has not completed his HIPAA training.
    He finally told me he has taken the HIPAA training 7 times and has not passed.

I Have been searching for a HIPAA 101 basic on-line training.   Maybe 3rd grade level.  I am not finding one that is simple.

I am finding even though this person has worked in healthcare he may not have ever understood HIPAA.
    I'd rather not create a training for this one person.

------------------------------
    Mary Blahut RN CHC
    VP Compliance
    Diamond Bar, CA
    19th Annual CEI Virtual Conference

• 2.  RE: Help HIPAA training

Posted 09-23-2020 02:14 PM

Mary,

Does he have a learning problem, or difficulty understanding what he's reading?  I personally would probably try to walk through the existing training with this person, depending on the circumstances.  I find I've  probably spent more time looking for something online when I could have just "created" it myself in less time!

Cinda

******************************************* This message and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.

• 3.  RE: Help HIPAA training

Posted 09-23-2020 04:24 PM
    Hi Mary,

When you say he failed, do you have an exam at the end of your training program and that is what he is failing?  I find that some people just cant comprehend a lot of material at one time and therefore when they try to answer the questions they get confused.  Maybe you can give him a pdf copy of the training so he has a reference when answering the questions.

Brian Haines
    Corporate Compliance Manager

• 4.  RE: Help HIPAA training

Posted 09-23-2020 05:24 PM

I am thinking this may be a case where Human Resources or your Education/Training Department can assist.  This employee may need an accommodation of some sort and covering the material verbally and testing the person verbally may be needed.  HR would be able to provide guidance, however.   

Denise M. Reed, MS, RHIA, CHC

Director, Health Information Management

Privacy Officer

Illinois Valley Community Hospital

925 West Street

Peru, Illinois 61354

(815) 223-3300 ext. 3471

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.