HIPAA

Recording Business Meetings

• 1.  Recording Business Meetings

Posted 05-22-2020 09:23 AM

Hello,

Does anyone use Webex Teams or other similar tools which allow users to record business meetings.  If so, does your organization have a policy you could share?  I've found tons of information and policies on recording patient encounters and/or education sessions, but I can't seem to find any policies on recording business meetings in the health care setting.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you,
    Stef

------------------------------
    Stefenie Post
    Compliance Consultant
    19th Annual CEI Virtual Conference

• 2.  RE: Recording Business Meetings

Posted 05-22-2020 09:34 AM
    Hi Stefenie,

We are not a CE we are consultants so our use is a little different. When a new client signs up for our online platform. With previous versions we did record the orientation and provide the video to the client for reference. With our current version I don't know if there is an official policy but I always offer to record the session and provide the file as part of my follow up. 

Because New Hampshire is one of the rare two party consent States the first thing I do after the recording starts or when an additional party is announce the session is being recorded. We use Zoom and Zoom places a recording icon on everyone's screen. 

Something to be aware of for your Security Risk Assessment: If you are recording to the online storage in Zoom the end to end encryption of that session is interrupted. Normally using a paid Zoom account to host a meeting (not sure about the free accounts) encrypted the data for all users. However if the session is being recorded in order for the file to be anything meaningful it must be d decryptied before storage. If that file contains PHI and it is stored on line you are storing PHI on a server you do not control. 

Not exactly what you asked for but I hope it is useful.
    -Alex-  
    Alexander I Slosman, MHA, CHC, CHPC

• 3.  RE: Recording Business Meetings

Posted 05-23-2020 07:41 AM
    My team put together a Privacy Guideline for use of tools such as WebEx that discusses various privacy and security safeguards that should be considered when using these tools along with things to consider when discussing confidential information such as who is part of that conversation and do we have the appropriate agreements in place to be sharing information with them? We also advise users not to allow the recording of meetings, including screen capture, taking photos of the screen when discussing confidential / proprietary information and to place a disclaimer on their presentations as well as make a verbal announcement at the beginning of the meeting outlining the parameters / expectations.

Brenda Manning J.D., C.H.C., C.H.P.C.
    Privacy Director
    Interim Privacy Officer
    Carilion Clinic

The views expressed herein are my own and do not represent those of my employer. They are not meant to constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship.

• 4.  RE: Recording Business Meetings

Posted 05-26-2020 01:34 PM
    In response to requests, I answer questions and provide guidance on HCCA.net, but I do not provide copies of the work that my team and I create.

Brenda Manning J.D., C.H.C., C.H.P.C.
    Privacy Director
    Interim Privacy Officer
    Carilion Clinic

The views expressed herein are my own and do not represent those of my employer. They are not meant to constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship.