HIPAA

Background check services

• 1.  Background check services

Posted 10-05-2020 04:11 PM
    We are a young/new business associate focused on medical technology. We are instituting a background check policy on our employees, contractors, vendors, etc., and I have a couple of questions:
    1) What service do you use to complete background checks for your company?  Do you complete basic checks or criminal checks, specifically?
    2) Do you ever run background checks after the initial check is done and if yes, how often?

Thank you for your input!

------------------------------
    Jana Rasmussen
    Compliance Manager
    LUMEA, Inc
    Lehi,UT
    19th Annual CEI Virtual Conference

• 2.  RE: Background check services

Posted 10-06-2020 06:20 AM
    Criminal background checks are industry standard based on my experience. I'm not an employment lawyer or HR expert but I imagine that is likely required / recommended in the healthcare industry for many reasons (e.g., patient safety, exposure to confidential information) for avoidance of negligent hiring. Most policies allow for additional checks to be run post hire as needed. With respect to third parties, for example collaborative researchers or vendors, some will accept an attestation from the individual's current organization that the individual has had a background check run that meets the organization's requirements.

Brenda Manning J.D., C.H.C., C.H.P.C.
    Privacy Director
    Privacy Officer
    Carilion Clinic

The views expressed herein are my own and do not represent those of my employer. They are not meant to constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship.

• 3.  RE: Background check services

Posted 10-06-2020 07:49 AM
    We use Kchecks. We enter all into the system for a check initially and their system runs monthly thereafter. The program can run several different checks to include exclusions.
    Hope this helps!

Cari Becker
    Compliance Officer/HIM Director
    Perry Memorial Hosp
    Princeton,IL