HIPAA

Patient surveys

• 1.  Patient surveys

Posted 08-18-2020 09:36 AM
    We are trying to figure out the best way to send out patient surveys and still be HIPAA compliant. We have looked at surveymonkey as they have a hipaa compliant solution but they are going to be extremely costly. I have read that the patient satisfaction surveys, etc. would fall under health care operations and not require an authorization from a patient, but if we go through an outside company to do the surveys would we not still need a BAA as we would essentially be identifying these patients as patients? In addition I am interested to see what others use to do these surveys?

------------------------------
    Savannah Knuettel
    Compliance Officer
    Galen Medical Group
    Hixson,TN

The views expressed herein are my own and do not represent those of my employer or clients. They are not meant to constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship.
    19th Annual CEI Virtual Conference

• 2.  RE: Patient surveys

Posted 08-19-2020 12:36 PM
    Hi Savannah,

We use NRC Health for our Patient Satisfaction Surveys and we do have a BAA in place with them.

Thanks!

Aaron McCoy
    Privacy & Compliance Officer
    The Portland Clinic, LLP
    Portland,OR

• 3.  RE: Patient surveys

Posted 08-19-2020 01:25 PM
    Are you able to send it out via your patient portal, assuming you have one?

On a related note, will you be including a link to your notice of privacy practices within the survey as notice of how their information may be used? It's a best practice question I've had related to patient surveys.

Maria Mojica
    Internal Audit/Compliance Prog Mgr
    RUHS - Public Health

• 4.  RE: Patient surveys

Posted 08-19-2020 01:39 PM
    We don't have the ability to do it through our portal yet. I do like the idea of the link to the notice of PHI Practices but does the notice need to specifically say we may use thier information to send out surveys for quality reporting? We have a broad definition that I feel like encompasses this under treatment, payment, or operations but if we need to be more specific we can.

Savannah Knuettel
    Compliance Officer
    Galen Medical Group
    Hixson,TN

The views expressed herein are my own and do not represent those of my employer or clients. They are not meant to constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship.