HIPAA

Student Health COVID-19 Guidelines

• 1.  Student Health COVID-19 Guidelines

Posted 09-03-2020 11:06 AM
    Our local school district has published their guidelines for students attending in-person classes. It discusses the usual symptoms and time frames for quarantining if there are symptoms, exposure or a positive test.
    The parts that concerns me:
    • If a student is tested for COVID-19 and has a negative test result, they may return to school after 24 hours.Documentation of the negative test is required.
    • If a student sees a healthcare provider and is diagnosed with an alternative illness other than COVID-19....A note from the healthcare provider will be required, to include the alternative diagnosis, in this case.
    I'm thinking that if we have the parent sign a release, give the documentation to the parent and they provide the information to the school, there are no HIPAA related concerns.
    My concern would be if the school requires information be provided directly from the provider, will our standard record release be sufficient or should we craft a release specific to this situation?
    Thoughts?

Thanks

------------------------------
    Wendy E. Dell, CHC CHPC
    Senior Business Office Manager
    White-Wilson Medical Center
    Ft. Walton Beach, FL 32578
    wdell@white-wilson.com
    19th Annual CEI Virtual Conference

• 2.  RE: Student Health COVID-19 Guidelines

Posted 09-03-2020 12:19 PM

Wendy,

My thought is, I wouldn't change anything. If you have a process/procedure, stick to it.  I don't see a problem using your standard record release signed by the parent.  

Cinda

******************************************* This message and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.

• 3.  RE: Student Health COVID-19 Guidelines

Posted 09-03-2020 12:28 PM

https://studentprivacy.ed.gov/sites/default/files/resource_document/file/FERPA%20and%20Coronavirus%20Frequently%20Asked%20Questions_0.pdf

From the US Department of Education

Thank you,

Sharon Taylor, RN, MS, CIC, CPHRM, CHC, CHPC        

Director Risk Management/ Accreditation Services

Burgess Health Center

1600 Diamond Street

Onawa, IA 51040

Tel: 712-423-9248

Fax: 712-423-9322

E-mail: staylor@burgesshc.org

image017.jpg@01CD7F97.28704CD0

Quality Care You Can Believe In

Electronic Mail Confidentiality Notice:

This electronic mail message and all attachments may contain confidential information belonging to the sender or the intended recipient. This information is intended ONLY for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution (electronic or otherwise), forwarding or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic transmission in error, please immediately notify the sender by telephone, facsimile, or email to arrange for the return of the electronic mail, attachments, or documents.

• 4.  RE: Student Health COVID-19 Guidelines

Posted 09-03-2020 01:03 PM

Sharon, I believe these guidelines deal with what a school can do with the information after they receive it and it becomes part of the student's educational records.  Wendy was talking about her concern of releasing the protected health information to the school. My apologies if I'm missing something.   With that said, this is a great document!  I get questions frequently about student health records, etc. and this will certainly help!

Thank you!

Cinda

******************************************* This message and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.

• 5.  RE: Student Health COVID-19 Guidelines

Posted 09-03-2020 12:30 PM
    The way we are doing it is patient/guardian can request results and/or print from the patient portal to take to school. We also send a letter to the patient stating they do or do not have COVID  that can be provided to school/employer. I would think your standard release would work just fine if the school wants something directly from the provider. I would not recreate the process.

Savannah Knuettel
    Compliance Officer
    Galen Medical Group
    Hixson,TN

The views expressed herein are my own and do not represent those of my employer or clients. They are not meant to constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship.

• 6.  RE: Student Health COVID-19 Guidelines

Posted 09-03-2020 05:58 PM
    I don't see a need to redo your release.  The parent will have to be sure to state exactly what they want released or what they want the provider's note to say.

David Garrison
    Compliance/Privacy Officer
    SEARHC
    Juneau,AK

• 7.  RE: Student Health COVID-19 Guidelines

Posted 09-04-2020 08:15 AM
    I wouldn't create a custom form. My team is constantly asked to create custom forms and yes we were asked to do this by universities in this situation. We don't have the bandwidth for that, nor do I see that as our function. Stick to a standard form and process.

Brenda Manning J.D., C.H.C., C.H.P.C.
    Privacy Director
    Interim Privacy Officer
    Carilion Clinic

The views expressed herein are my own and do not represent those of my employer. They are not meant to constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship.