Communication Training and Curriculum Development

Training Completion Metrics

• 1.  Training Completion Metrics

Posted 03-25-2020 08:26 AM
    We are interested to find out how our compliance training completion metrics compare with other organizations:

1.  How long do you give employees to complete mandated training?  (We allow 45 days)

2.  What percent of assignments are completed by the due date?  (We average about 85-90%)

We would like to know how these compare to what others are doing.  Lately we've been challenged by some audits who are looking at not just our overall completions, but completion percentage by due date.

Our demographics are 35K employees well-dispersed around the globe..

Thanks for anything that you can share.

------------------------------
    Rick Sellers
    Director Compliance Comms and Training
    RELX
    rick.sellers@relx.com
    2020 SCCE Membership

• 2.  RE: Training Completion Metrics

Posted 03-26-2020 06:21 AM

​Good Morning -

New employees are allowed 30 days to complete training.
    Annual training and other trainings throughout the year range from 14 days to 60 days depending on what it is.

Our completion rate now is very close to 100%  If people don't get it done they are provided a great opportunity to seek employment elsewhere.  Our stats were horrid and there wasn't any true accountability.  Everyone was notified what the expectation and consequences were. With the next required training there were both employees and managers who ignored it and were given that great opportunity.  It only took one time.

Is this a hard line, absolutely and it needed to be done.

Jan Walton
    Director, Corporate Compliance
    Oaklawn Hospital
    Marshall,MI

jwalton@oaklawnhospital.com

2020 SCCE Membership

• 3.  RE: Training Completion Metrics

Posted 04-02-2020 11:07 AM
    I absolutely agree with the necessity of a "hard-line".  We cleaned up out of compliance completion metrics by using a change management approach and by involving multiple functions at several levels.
    • We explained to business functions that we were currently out of compliance and that we were embarking on an initiative to fix the situation
    • We asked for their buy-in and their help with communicating with their direct reports 
    • In return, we committed to clear directions and communication, realistic timelines, and to the extent possible, ease of completion  
    • Once we cleaned up the incomplete training, we changed the process for assigning, communicating, and ensuring completion of on-going training, including clear communication, expectations, and follow-up.  No one is surprised by reminder e-mails, and on-time completion has significantly improved.
    One final tip that someone gave me and has proven invaluable:  If someone does not complete their training after the second reminder, a third reminder is highly unlikely to be effective - it's time for escalation - ideally per a process which has been widely communicated (i.e., alerting second-line manager, inclusion on an "incomplete report" sent to high-level personnel, etc.).

It's a lot of work, but it is very effective!  We've executed this approach at a very large company (over 3,000) and a very small company (less than 150).

Mona Kay Rifi
    Principal
    Innovate Compliance
    Hopewell,NJ

2020 SCCE Membership

• 4.  RE: Training Completion Metrics

Posted 04-03-2020 08:10 AM

We roll it out Jan 1 with a deadline of March 30th. We've extended the deadline this year. We have a significant amount of annual training beyond compliance. 

Brenda Manning J.D., C.H.C., C.H.P.C.
    Carilion Clinic

The views expressed herein are my own and do not represent those of my employer. They are not meant to constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship.

2020 SCCE Membership

• 5.  RE: Training Completion Metrics

Posted 04-02-2020 11:11 AM
    Very nice Jan!  What were your % numbers prior to your current very stellar numbers...and what were some of the "excuses" that people would use before you turned things around.

-------------Frank "Snake Bite Leader" Ruelas--------------
    ► We don't fail unless we quit! ◄
    Link to list of live Webs:
    https://bit.ly/Web_Links
    Bill Wong's Resource Folder: https://bit.ly/BillWong

░ Pass the Exam Group for 2020 ░
    Melissa Singleton - Jan - CHPC
    Julie Clutter - Jan - CHPC
    Tanisha Grant - Feb - CHC
    Lisa Bibby - Jan - CHPC
    Kelly Puida - Mar - CHPC
    Christina Serrano - Mar - CHC

2020 SCCE Membership

• 6.  RE: Training Completion Metrics

Posted 03-26-2020 09:23 AM
    This is a very timely discussion, as I am wrapping up my company's annual compliance trainings on the code of conduct and anticorruption. Though the answers, at least for my company, are a little less straightforward than yours I believe.

1. Generally, I provide the first 2 work weeks of March, with a buffer of the remainder of March until the dropdead deadline. However, because of internal approval process, it slightly varies year to year how long they get. This year has been abnormally short at 11 days (deadline being 3/16) so that I would have enough buffer time before dropdead end of month deadline.

2. Generally, I see approximately 90% and above by end of March, which creeps up to around 99% after March because I have HR continue to push for completion.

While I do not get challenged by audits, it is because our GC only reports ultimate completion rate not end of March completion rate, which we continue to discuss whether that is correct reporting.

Our demographics are just under 5k employees, but, importantly, we are a manufacturing company where the overwhelming majority of employees do not have daily or frequent access to a computer while working. Currently, this type of employees must be scheduled to be provided access and time. This year, with both state mandates and company policies related to COVID19, this has been increasingly difficult to ensure proper distancing between employees, etc. in this type of situation with manufacturing employees.

Joshua Linden
    Manager, Compliance and Ethics
    Columbus,OH

2020 SCCE Membership