Communication Training and Curriculum Development

Training for Investigators

• 1.  Training for Investigators

Posted 05-29-2020 10:48 AM
    I am working on an updated training program for our investigations teams. What standards does your company have for keeping your investigators skilled on internal misconduct investigations? Do you have a minimum expectation for certification? Do you provide in-house training programs? Do you use an external provider for ongoing education?

------------------------------
    Cheryl Jeffcoat
    Director - Risk & Compliance
    Target
    Minneapolis,MN
    2020 SCCE Membership

• 2.  RE: Training for Investigators

Posted 05-30-2020 09:08 AM
    This is a great question and I'll be curious as to how others answer.

I'm answering from the perspective of doing fairly high volume privacy investigations. We have used a combination of external and internal sources (e.g., having new staff attend interviews, shadow seasoned staff and role play) and do not require certification.

How people conduct investigations, for example interviews, is very personal to the investigator. The tone really needs to be set by the organization in my opinion as to what type of investigator you want. For example, I've sat in on interviews that were like depositions or police interrogations that scared the heck out of me and were so completely NOT appropriate / commensurate for the situation. Some people, while highly skilled, just aren't right for employee investigations.

With respect to other aspects of investigations, for example snooping in patient medical records, we have standardized questions for our investigators.  Our thought process is that going into a situation like that, the interview will likely be our one shot at the employee, so based on past experience get every possible question we can think of that might be a defense by the employee after the fact asked at this one interview.

Brenda Manning J.D., C.H.C., C.H.P.C.
    Privacy Director
    Interim Privacy Officer
    Carilion Clinic

The views expressed herein are my own and do not represent those of my employer. They are not meant to constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship.

2020 SCCE Membership