Communication Training and Curriculum Development

Compliance Education Plan

• 1.  Compliance Education Plan

Posted 05-12-2020 02:01 PM
    Good afternoon all. I was wondering if anyone has developed an education plan they wouldn't mind sharing?

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Toni Burton
    Director of Compliance Operations
    VCU Health
    Richmond,VA
    2020 SCCE Membership

• 2.  RE: Compliance Education Plan

Posted 05-13-2020 01:57 AM
    +1
    Good question. I'd like to see one too.

Eric Lopez
    Risk & Compliance Mgr
    Clinica Msr. Oscar A. Romero
    Los Angeles,CA

2020 SCCE Membership

• 3.  RE: Compliance Education Plan

Posted 05-14-2020 08:15 AM
      |   view attached
    Ours if 5 pages. I'm not able to share the detailed document. Here is a rough idea of what a formal training and awareness plan looks like. Ours was approved by our Board Compliance Committee and is part of our FY'20 Work Plan. We update progress on a monthly basis and report to the committee on a quarterly and annual basis. We have targeted numbers on our department scorecard in terms of how many people we are required to educate in a given year.

Brenda Manning J.D., C.H.C., C.H.P.C.
    Privacy Director
    Interim Privacy Officer
    Carilion Clinic

The views expressed herein are my own and do not represent those of my employer. They are not meant to constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship.

Attachment(s)

2020 SCCE Membership

• 4.  RE: Compliance Education Plan

Posted 05-14-2020 08:28 AM
    Responding to comments about education with the remote workforce. COVID has obviously changed the way we work now and moving forward. We continue our efforts to educate the workforce, but just in different ways. We have NEO and other trainings, but they are conducted online. We have also been working very closely with our marketing and communications team on education. Throughout COVID we have had daily emails to our leaders, our entire staff as well physicians. Those communications have been dialed back recently in terms of frequency to a few times a week however. Our marketing team has been great in terms of helping us to disseminate education to our audience and they also developed a COVID Hub where we put valuable resources on a variety of topics. We track all of our education numbers including method, so we consider every email to staff with information as an education contact.

Brenda Manning J.D., C.H.C., C.H.P.C.
    Privacy Director
    Interim Privacy Officer
    Carilion Clinic

The views expressed herein are my own and do not represent those of my employer. They are not meant to constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship.

2020 SCCE Membership

• 5.  RE: Compliance Education Plan

Posted 05-13-2020 11:56 AM
    Edited by Carl Russell 05-13-2020 11:56 AM
    Our plan was rocking and rolling BC (Before COVID), but now is in a bit of a flux. The part that is still solid is our quarterly security online courses and our annual HIPAA privacy and security online courses. Also our KnowBe4 weekly email reminders still go out and we still use them for phishing training.

But I was giving a presentation 3 times a year at an all-company meeting, a fun HIPAA video that I would create. Then there was often opportunities for smaller group training and one-on-one. That doesn't exists during COVID, with 90% of our staff working from home.

Carl Russell
    Compliance Analyst, CHPC
    Delta Dental of Idaho
    Boise,ID

Anything I say is my sole opinion and not of my company.

2020 SCCE Membership

• 6.  RE: Compliance Education Plan

Posted 05-13-2020 12:48 PM
    I currently present a video during new employee orientations that goes over highlights of our policies and the compliance program. I come to EMR training where I introduce myself and go over a few things in person (5-10 minute presentation). We also have knowbe4 security online courses that must be completed annually and phishing tests/training that goes out weekly. I post educational cartoons or videos on our employee intranet monthly and/or as new things come out that I believe employees should be aware of. I would love to hear what others are doing as well though!

Savannah Knuettel
    Compliance Officer
    Galen Medical Group
    Hixson,TN

The views expressed herein are my own and do not represent those of my employer or clients. They are not meant to constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship.

2020 SCCE Membership