Communication Training and Curriculum Development

View Only
  • 1.  Compliance Training Incentives

Posted 01-05-2021 03:33 PM
    I would be interested to know if companies are providing incentives to employees to complete mandatory training in a timely manner.  If so, what are they?  Currently, the compliance training is a course consisting of 5 different lesson and while 100% completion is obtained, it is done so manually (by me) and there isn't an impact if the training is not completed the deadline. There are built in reminders to workers and managers but there is a contingent of people that either ignore the reminders.

It occurs to me that incentivizing employees would be impactful versus punishing them.  Would love hear thoughts on this!

------------------------------
    Laurie Oliver
    Sr. Ethics Manager
    Unum
    Portland,ME
    SCCE Membership

• 2.  RE: Compliance Training Incentives

Posted 01-05-2021 04:03 PM
    ​We have a bonus tier based on our training. If you complete all on time you will get a certain amount. If you are tardy for more than so many you do not get the bonus.

It seems to work for the most part everyone completes the training and we have training going out every month.

Sanaa Makram
    Compliance Officer
    SDMI
    Las Vegas,NV

SCCE Membership

• 3.  RE: Compliance Training Incentives

Posted 01-06-2021 08:26 AM
    We tried to go the route of incentives and have still had issues with completion. We are now about to approve a policy that will have consequences for not completing. There is really no excuse for employees and providers to not complete annual training within 12 months. This has been an ongoing issue for us so we unfortunately are having to go with consequences.

Savannah Knuettel
    Compliance Officer
    Galen Medical Group
    Hixson,TN

The views expressed herein are my own and do not represent those of my employer or clients. They are not meant to constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship.

SCCE Membership

• 4.  RE: Compliance Training Incentives

Posted 01-07-2021 02:12 PM
    We too are looking at this, what consequences are you considering? We have made completing the course a condition of employment in their employee contract, however, there are no consequences for not completing, just a lot of time and effort from many to get everyone to complete.

Cindy Hamilton
    Director-Ethics Office
    TELUS
    Calgary,AB

SCCE Membership

• 5.  RE: Compliance Training Incentives

Posted 01-07-2021 02:35 PM
    ​We provide semi-annual refresher compliance, security, and privacy training to all employees.  In the past, we spent a lot of time reminding employees to complete the training and always had to do follow up with a number of them.  Now, we give our employees 30 days to complete the training with automatic reminders sent to them.  If they do not complete the training on time, our security department revokes their system access on the last day and they are not provided access until their training is complete.  We now get a 100% completion rate with no follow up needed.  We've been doing this for a couple of years already and everyone knows the consequences.

Jane Keller-Allen
    Corporate Compliance Officer
    WPS Health Insurance
    Madison,WI

SCCE Membership

• 6.  RE: Compliance Training Incentives

Posted 01-06-2021 12:38 PM
    Aloha,

we use eRelias and require staff to complete 8 modules over a year.  This is worked into their annual evaluation which is tied to pay increases.

Teresa Gonsalves, LSW, CHC
    Chief Compliance and Ethics Officer
    WCCHC
    Waianae, HI

SCCE Membership