Communication Training and Curriculum Development

Home movies

• 1.  Home movies

Posted 07-24-2019 05:26 PM
    Edited by Carl Russell 07-25-2019 08:34 AM
    I got permission to share about my home movies that I make for HIPAA training here at my office. I used my iPhone 7 and made very short video clips. I then went out on the internet and grabbed a few sound clips and images. I used PowerPoint 2013 to put it all together. Putting as much as possible onto each frame is harder but plays much better because you don't have time lag as the frames advance. I like to have it set up so it just goes. There is a commentator (me) on screen that wasn't there initially. At first I just did it all live. But they wanted to have it for the board so I added in the commentator.

I present the PowerPoint at an All-Company meeting, which is generally around 60 people showing up. I've converted the presentations into MP4 and WMV for sharing through our LMS and other venues.

I try to have a theme and a single lesson to present. If people laugh (not just at me) and connect it to the lesson, then maybe they'll remember it.

For a number of reasons I've decided not to attach an actual video, not to put it onto the forum. But I am happy to share an MP4 if you request it from me directly. But I would only be for demonstration to you alone and not to further share through any social media, use directly as your own training, or anything else like that. You get the point, honor system here. Thanks.

EDIT: I just realized that the movies will be too large to share via email. So we'll need to come up with another method. Any suggestions to keep it to just those that request it?

EDIT 2: So everyone, my IT department set me up on Acronis. All I need is the email address you want me to authorize for access. Then I'll send you a link to get to the video. So send me a private message with your email address. Remember, no sharing, honor system.

------------------------------
    Carl Russell
    Compliance Analyst, CHPC
    Delta Dental of Idaho
    Boise,ID

Anything I say is my sole opinion and not of my company.
    2020 SCCE Membership

• 2.  RE: Home movies

Posted 07-24-2019 06:27 PM

Carl,

I would LOVE to see your video and promise not to share it inappropriately, but steal ideas from it liberally. Thank you.

Kathleen Stone

Compliance Officer

Risk Manager

(707) 472-4572 

2020 SCCE Membership

• 3.  RE: Home movies

Posted 07-24-2019 08:19 PM

Carl,

I also would love to see/hear anything you would share. I will NOT use inappropriately but as Kathleen said.... Possibly steal ideas. J

Misty Booker, CHC, OCS

Compliance Manager

Baptist Eye Surgeons, PLLC

865-579-3920  Phone

865-579-3918  Fax

--

This communication is for use by the intended recipient and contains information that may be privileged, confidential or copyrighted under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby formally notified that any use, copying or distribution of this e-mail, in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender by phone at 865-579-3920 and delete this e-mail from your system. Unless explicitly and conspicuously designated as "E-Contract Intended", this e-mail does not constitute a contract offer, a contract amendment, or an acceptance of a contract offer. This e-mail does not constitute a consent to the use of sender's contact information for direct marketing purposes or for transfers of data to third parties.

2020 SCCE Membership

• 4.  RE: Home movies

Posted 07-25-2019 06:56 AM
    Hi Carl!
    Thanks for your willingness to share your ideas. Like the others, I will not hijack your work and pass it off as my own. But, I will be looking more at HOW this is done and if my Android phone has the same capabilities for good movie making.

As for sharing large files, have you considered "WeTransfer"?

Our AV Department has used it to transfer the HIPAA training I recorded for use here.

Just a thought. ​

Dr. Randy Lewis, LMFT, CHPC
    HIPAA Privacy Officer
    Orange County Government
    Orlando, FL

2020 SCCE Membership

• 5.  RE: Home movies

Posted 07-26-2019 06:08 AM
    Randy, thanks for the tip on WeTransfer!

2020 SCCE Membership

• 6.  RE: Home movies

Posted 07-25-2019 08:31 AM
    Edited by Carl Russell 07-25-2019 08:35 AM
    So everyone, my IT department set me up on Acronis. All I need is the email address you want me to authorize for access. Then I'll send you a link to get to the video. So send me a private message with your email address. Remember, no sharing, honor system.

Carl Russell
    Compliance Analyst, CHPC
    Delta Dental of Idaho
    Boise,ID

2020 SCCE Membership

• 7.  RE: Home movies

Posted 07-27-2019 12:13 PM
    Thank you Carl.
    I’d love to see it and will follow the honor system.

Robin Moreno

2020 SCCE Membership

• 8.  RE: Home movies

Posted 07-25-2019 08:52 AM
    Carl, this is great, thanks so much for all the information - and I'll gladly abide by the honor system!!

If you don't mind sharing, what do you use to convert files to MP4?
    Thanks!

Mona Kay Gorman
    Director of Training
    Valeritas
    Hopewell,NJ

2020 SCCE Membership

• 9.  RE: Home movies

Posted 07-25-2019 10:05 AM
    Mona,
    The presentations are developed in PowerPoint 2013. Once done and ready, I do a "Save As" and then select the file type. It includes MP4 and WMV, among many others. I generally create a PowerPoint Show (PPSX) version too for use in the actual presentation. But sometimes, when the presentation is extra large, I find that having the original PPTX version preloaded is better. Then I just start it and off we go. The whole thing is hands off. Once started, it just runs. There is no advancing of slides. I practice ahead of time of course to make sure I get the human interaction appropriate for those videos that need it.

I sent you an Acronis link this morning to the video. If anyone else wants the link, private message me with your email address so I can add it to the list.

Carl Russell
    Compliance Analyst, CHPC
    Delta Dental of Idaho
    Boise,ID

2020 SCCE Membership

• 10.  RE: Home movies

Posted 07-25-2019 10:46 AM
    Edited by Amber Hersma 07-25-2019 10:49 AM
    Hi Carl

I would love to view the link to your video and I pledge not share or distribute.  I will only view and use as possible inspiration of mine.

email address amber.hersma@hms.com

Thank you
    Amber

Amber Hersma, CCEP
    Compliance and Privacy
    Irving, Texas

These are my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

2020 SCCE Membership

• 11.  RE: Home movies

Posted 07-25-2019 02:53 PM
    Amber, I sent you the link.

Carl Russell
    Compliance Analyst, CHPC
    Delta Dental of Idaho
    Boise,ID

2020 SCCE Membership

• 12.  RE: Home movies

Posted 07-25-2019 01:38 PM
    Let me just say these are amazing!!!

Thanks so much for sharing!!

Mona Kay Gorman
    Director of Training
    Valeritas
    Hopewell,NJ

2020 SCCE Membership

• 13.  RE: Home movies

Posted 07-25-2019 03:14 PM
    Thanks Mona. I had fun making the videos. There are others too. I have them on topics like breaches, talking too loud in the hallway, locking your computer, sharing PHI when you shouldn't, data snooping, and so on. Sometimes I take on the roll of a football maniac, a jungle bwana, santa's helper, and the like.

One presentation was about how easy it is to drop a character when entering an address and how an EOB could get sent to the wrong person. We all make mistakes so we just need to take extra care when entering data. I then shared the image of the assistant inspector general with the multiple typos in the text.
    Typo of Assistant Inspector General

Carl Russell
    Compliance Analyst, CHPC
    Delta Dental of Idaho
    Boise,ID

2020 SCCE Membership

• 14.  RE: Home movies

Posted 07-25-2019 03:26 PM
    Thanks so much Carl - the link worked and I enjoyed your creativity and enthusiasm

Amber Hersma, CCEP
    Compliance and Privacy
    Irving, Texas

These are my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

2020 SCCE Membership

• 15.  RE: Home movies

Posted 07-25-2019 05:43 PM
    Awesome work, Carl.  Thanks for sharing!

Marie Wagner
    Operations Manager, Corporate Compliance
    The Queen's Health Systems
    Honolulu,HI

2020 SCCE Membership

• 16.  RE: Home movies

Posted 07-28-2019 11:21 AM
    Thank you Carl. I would like to get a copy and agree not to share it.

Lloyd Hemmert
    Compliance & Ethics Officer
    Hill Country MHDD Centers
    Kerrville,TX
    [lhemmert@hillcountry.org]

2020 SCCE Membership