Communication Training and Curriculum Development

View Only
  • 1.  HIPAA Annual Training

Posted 07-01-2021 11:15 AM
    What does HIPAA Annual Training look like for your organization?
    Specifically, if you DO NOT use a paid-subscription or LMS, how do you train your group on HIPAA Privacy and HIPAA Security topics?
    What does your Training Tracking look like?

If you DO use a paid-subscription or LMS, what do you use and why is it the best?

Note: We are a small organization and will likely be doing most of our own HIPAA training for now. Eventually, I would like to transition to a LMS to help us track training and pertinent educational topics.

------------------------------
    Jana Rasmussen
    Compliance Manager
    LUMEA, Inc
    Lehi,UT
    SCCE Membership

• 2.  RE: HIPAA Annual Training

Posted 07-02-2021 11:23 AM
    Hello Jana,
    I work for an organization that has about 70 employees, and we use KnowBe4 for our training.  They have modules covering a wide variety of topics, including: HIPAA training, Harassment prevention training, unlawful retaliation training and security training - they even have HIPAA modules for Business Associates.

I really like it, because the modules cover a wide variety of training methods (videos, games, quizes, etc) and most aren't very long (5-15 minutes).  In or company, we have monthly security training, so our IT staff creates a campaign for each month, and assigns different modules for each campaign along with start and end dates.  On the first date of the campaign, and email goes out to all employees involved in the campaign which lists the training they have been assigned and a due date for completion.  KnowBe4 also allows you to assign different types of training to different groups of people - Management vs. non-Management; new employee; additional training for struggling employees, etc.

KnowBe4 tracks which campaigns were assigned to each employee, what was included in the campaign (which modules), date of enrollment (start date), if the training was started, length of time to complete each module, number of days left before due date of training, Score, and if the employee passed the module.  I'm not sure of all of the reports available, but I know you can pull information for a specific employee, or a specific campaign (like annual HIPAA training).

KnowBe4 also allows you to upload your own documents for training (mostly pdfs I think).  We started using this feature to track employee acknowledgement of policies.  Each policy was uploaded separately and the employee had to acknowledge they had read and understood each policy before the item would be marked as complete.  Length of time comes in handy for policy review as it should take longer than 0:12 to read the policy 😉.

Heidi Lourey
    Compliance Officer

SCCE Membership

• 3.  RE: HIPAA Annual Training

Posted 07-02-2021 02:23 PM
    Heidi,
    thank you for those ideas and that information about KnowBe4! I am aware of KnowBe4 but haven't explored all of it's functionality yet. Our current Security guy isn't a fan but he is on limited hours to develop and provide his own training, so we will have to look for something commercial probably to get us by.  I will take this idea, along with some of the others I've gathered, to my supervisor and we'll hammer out a plan for the rest of this year.

Thanks again!  It was very helpful to hear of all the useful tools KnowBe4 can provide.

Jana D. Rasmussen
    Compliance Manager, LUMEA

jana@lumea.net / www.lumea.net

This email and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed and may contain proprietary, confidential, or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. 

SCCE Membership

• 4.  RE: HIPAA Annual Training

Posted 07-06-2021 06:18 AM
    Here's a link to our animated privacy dog named Chance:

https://vimeo.com/491809141/5dfff13475

Brenda Manning J.D., C.H.C., C.H.P.C.
    Privacy Director
    Privacy Officer
    Carilion Clinic

The views expressed herein are my own and do not represent those of my employer. They are not meant to constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship.

SCCE Membership

• 5.  RE: HIPAA Annual Training

Posted 07-06-2021 10:29 AM

Love this!

Thank you,

Sharon Taylor, RN, MS, CIC, CPHRM, CHC, CHPC        

Director Risk Management/ Accreditation Services

Burgess Health Center

1600 Diamond Street

Onawa, IA 51040

Tel: 712-423-9248

Fax: 712-423-9322

E-mail: staylor@burgesshc.org

image017.jpg@01CD7F97.28704CD0

Quality Care You Can Believe In

Electronic Mail Confidentiality Notice:

This electronic mail message and all attachments may contain confidential information belonging to the sender or the intended recipient. This information is intended ONLY for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution (electronic or otherwise), forwarding or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic transmission in error, please immediately notify the sender by telephone, facsimile, or email to arrange for the return of the electronic mail, attachments, or documents.

SCCE Membership

• 6.  RE: HIPAA Annual Training

Posted 07-06-2021 04:45 PM
    Awesome, Brenda! :)

Marie Wagner, CHC, CHRC
    Operations Manager, Corporate Compliance
    The Queen's Health Systems
    Honolulu, HI

SCCE Membership

• 7.  RE: HIPAA Annual Training

Posted 07-07-2021 06:41 AM
    This is great!  ​

Dr. Randy Lewis, LMFT, CHPC
    HIPAA Privacy Officer
    Orange County Government
    Orlando, FL

SCCE Membership

• 8.  RE: HIPAA Annual Training

Posted 07-08-2021 03:39 PM
    For those who asked, Chance is a Carilion original. He was developed by our amazingly talented instructional design team using Adobe creative suite. 

Brenda Manning J.D., C.H.C., C.H.P.C.
    Privacy Director
    Privacy Officer
    Carilion Clinic

The views expressed herein are my own and do not represent those of my employer. They are not meant to constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship.

SCCE Membership

• 9.  RE: HIPAA Annual Training

Posted 07-07-2021 08:44 AM
    Thank you Brenda.  What a clever way to get the points across.  Catchy and informative.

Lloyd Hemmert
    Compliance & Ethics Officer
    Hill Country MHDD Centers
    Kerrville,TX
    [lhemmert@hillcountry.org]

SCCE Membership

• 10.  RE: HIPAA Annual Training

Posted 07-07-2021 11:19 AM
    This is great Brenda! Thanks for sharing.

Jodi Ridder
    Compliance Officer
    Buchanan County Health Center
    Independence,IA

SCCE Membership

• 11.  RE: HIPAA Annual Training

Posted 07-02-2021 12:48 PM
    Brenda,
    I am very curious about your "animated / talking privacy dog who is trained to sniff out privacy issues."  Can you tell us more about this?
    Thanks!

Freda Driscoll-Sbar
    Vice President of Compliance,
    Center for Human Development
    Springfield, MA

SCCE Membership