Managed Care

Sweepstakes sponsored by health insurance company - Amazon gift cards for physicians

• 1.  Sweepstakes sponsored by health insurance company - Amazon gift cards for physicians

Posted 01-10-2017 01:43 PM

I'm interested in finding out if other physician practice organizations have heard of this sweepstakes, or have had your physicians chosen at random as winners. Here's a synopsis of what we recently received from a health insurance company, which provides coverage to Medicare members:

ABC insurance company has a Close the Gap sweepstakes during the 4th quarter of each year and providers' names are entered into a lottery each time they submit data that closes a care gap (one of the HEDIS Star measurement gaps) for a patient. Your organization has two providers--Dr. X and Dr. Y who have each won a $250 Amazon gift card. Information on the sweepstakes was provided and an affidavit for each provider to sign to accept the prize.

I should also note: the sweepstakes rules have a "no purchase necessary" option which allows an eligible physician (one who is treating ABC Insurance company Medicare attributed membership) to enter by sending an email during the entry period to sweepstakes@.....com.

Has anyone else been selected as a winner? If so, I'm interested to learn how you are handling this if you're willing to share? This doesn't really seem to fit under a gifts and gratuities concern, as it is a random "prize", not the same as a gift.

If others have insight on this scenario, even if you haven't been chosen as a lucky winner, I'm curious to hear your thoughts too!

Thank you,

------------------------------
    Susan Craig, CHC
    Compliance Officer
    Crouse Medical Practice, PLLC
    Syracuse, NY
    2019 HCCA Compliance Institute

• 2.  RE: Sweepstakes sponsored by health insurance company - Amazon gift cards for physicians

Posted 01-10-2017 01:55 PM

Have you confirmed the veracity of the e-mail with the Health Insurance company? this could be a good ruse for RansomWare/hackers.

David Rothery, CHC
    Compliance Officer
    Marin County, CA

These are my personal opinions and not those of the County of Marin

• 3.  RE: Sweepstakes sponsored by health insurance company - Amazon gift cards for physicians

Posted 01-11-2017 11:54 AM

Good point David, thank you! We do always have to be cautious of ransomware disguised in emails.  In this situation, the email was from a local representative of the company whom we regularly work with on submitting data, and the attachments appear to be legit from what I can tell.

Susan Craig,CHC
    Compliance Officer
    Syracuse, NY

• 4.  RE: Sweepstakes sponsored by health insurance company - Amazon gift cards for physicians

Posted 01-11-2017 11:56 AM

Good point David, thank you! We do always have to be cautious of ransomware disguised in emails.  In this situation, the email was from a local representative of the company whom we regularly work with on submitting data, and the attachments appear to be legit from what I can tell.

Susan Craig,CHC
    Compliance Officer
    Syracuse, NY