Chief Compliance and Ethics Officer Health Care

Open Letter Invitation...Add Your Voice to the Chorus

• 1.  Open Letter Invitation...Add Your Voice to the Chorus

Posted 03-17-2020 08:57 AM
    Fact...the Compliance Institute is cancelled.
    Fact...People were planning to use their time at the CI to earn necessary CEUs for cert or recertification
    Fact...A virtual version of the CI is in the planning stages

Given HCCA's timing of its cancellation...there is an idea where I want to see if others may wish to help prompt HCCA into some type of response to the following request/suggestion.  We can put together a message to HCCA, using the eGroups with respect to the following by providing a response to the following.

Suggestion:
    It is suggested that HCCA take into consideration the timing of CEUs people currently have with respect for upcoming certification and recertification and come up with some type of proposed extension to extend the expiration of current CEUs while also extending the time to obtain additional CEUs.  This will provide the opportunity for people to maintain their current CEUs for a longer period of time while also providing a window of opportunity for people to accumulate additional CEUs in order to meet certification or recertification thresholds. For example, add 3 - 6 months of additional time to current CEUs that people may currently have on "account".

OK...so let's use this thread to show our support for HCCA to consider some type of approach to what is suggested above.  Now is the time to show your support, or not...totally up to you...for your colleagues who may be dealing with having to find a substitute for the CEUs that they were planning to obtain at the CI.  So I ask...do you think this is a reasonable suggestion for HCCA to consider as well as to put out some type of notice or announcement on the HCCA website.

What say you?

------------------------------
    -------------Frank Ruelas--------------
    ► We don't fail unless we quit! ◄
    Next Study Session Topic(s) - The eGroups Shall Decide
    2020 CI Meet Up Sign Up: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/26VLMS8

░ Pass the Exam Group for 2020 ░
    Melissa Singleton - Jan - CHPC
    Julie Clutter - Jan - CHPC
    Tanisha Grant - Feb - CHC
    Lisa Bibby - Jan - CHPC
    Kelly Puida - Mar CHPC
    2020 HCCA Compliance Institute

• 2.  RE: Open Letter Invitation...Add Your Voice to the Chorus

Posted 03-17-2020 09:29 AM

Frank, I agree that this is a reasonable suggestion for HCCA to consider!  And also to put out some type of notice or announcement on the HCCA website.

Thanks, Frank!

Cinda

******************************************* This message and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.

• 3.  RE: Open Letter Invitation...Add Your Voice to the Chorus

Posted 03-17-2020 09:31 AM
    Thanks Cinda!  I will be the first to share that if the combined posts to this thread in the eGroups that I posted doesn't top 200...this would be beyond disappointing...but I remain optimistic...for now.

Lisa Bibby - Jan - CHPC
    Kelly Puida - Mar CHPC

• 4.  RE: Open Letter Invitation...Add Your Voice to the Chorus

Posted 03-17-2020 09:32 AM
    I'm in favor for all the reasons previously mentioned.  I'd like to think that just like it is probably lower on our priority lists right now, the same idea is lower on HCCA leadership's list as they work to figure out their next steps.   Hopefully, this discussion will generate some useful information to be shared and disseminated appropriately.

Best,
    Meggie

• 5.  RE: Open Letter Invitation...Add Your Voice to the Chorus

Posted 03-17-2020 11:29 AM

I wholeheartedly agree. I renew by October for my CHC and Just renewed CPHC I January. I fortunately have enough without the CI but there have been years when I counted on the CI to get enough live CEU's. I believe consideration should be given to some type of extension given the circumstances.

Thank you,

Sharon Taylor, RN, MS, CIC, CPHRM, CHC, CHPC        

Director Risk Management/ Accreditation Services

Burgess Health Center

1600 Diamond Street

Onawa, IA 51040

Tel: 712-423-9248

Fax: 712-423-9322

E-mail: staylor@burgesshc.org

image017.jpg@01CD7F97.28704CD0

Quality Care You Can Believe In

Electronic Mail Confidentiality Notice:

This electronic mail message and all attachments may contain confidential information belonging to the sender or the intended recipient. This information is intended ONLY for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution (electronic or otherwise), forwarding or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic transmission in error, please immediately notify the sender by telephone, facsimile, or email to arrange for the return of the electronic mail, attachments, or documents.

• 6.  RE: Open Letter Invitation...Add Your Voice to the Chorus

Posted 03-17-2020 09:30 AM

Agree. Let me know how I can help.

Sincerely,

Alicia Shickle AHFI, CHC, CPCO, CPC, CPMA, CPPM,CRC

ProCode Compliance Solutions, LLC

www.procodecs.com

ashickle@procodecs.com

Cell: 845-807-3255

STATEMENT OF CONFIDENTIALITY: The information contained in this email is a client privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify us by telephone and or destroy all copies. Thank you.

• 7.  RE: Open Letter Invitation...Add Your Voice to the Chorus

Posted 03-17-2020 10:15 AM

I agree. This is a very reasonable request, Frank. I believe the HCCA would respond positively to this request.

LaDon Linde, CHC

Compliance Officer/Medical Staff Services Director

Astria Sunnyside Hospital

1016 Tacoma Ave l Sunnyside, WA 98944

509-837-1364 (P) l 509-837-1796 (F)

image003.png@01D3467F.6A2ECFC0

• 8.  RE: Open Letter Invitation...Add Your Voice to the Chorus

Posted 03-17-2020 10:33 AM
    I agree wholeheartedly Frank. How much sway does HCCA have with CCB, after all isn't it the CCB that controls the CEUs?

David Rothery, CHC, AWI-CH
    Compliance & Privacy Officer
    Marin County, CA

These are my personal opinions and not those of the County of Marin

• 9.  RE: Open Letter Invitation...Add Your Voice to the Chorus

Posted 03-17-2020 10:46 AM
    Fran, this is a great idea. Many of those planning to take the tests were counting on the huge (20+) amount of CEUs that the conference would have afforded them in just a few days. Now they have to scramble to gather together CEUs from other sources, doable of course but over a much longer time frame. If HCCA could accommodate them for this inconvenience (to say the least) it would go a long way to helping these people out and increasing the ranks of certified professionals.

So HCCA, add my vote to you working with the CCB for an extension of timing for CEUs.

Carl Russell
    Compliance Analyst, CHPC
    Delta Dental of Idaho
    Boise,ID

Anything I say is my sole opinion and not of my company.

• 10.  RE: Open Letter Invitation...Add Your Voice to the Chorus

Posted 03-18-2020 08:48 AM
    I am also in support.
    Thanks for being pro-active, Frank!
    I would think HCCA would also see this as a reasonable step.

Yolanda Pence, CHC
    VP Compliance
    ypence@sas-ga.org
    GA

• 11.  RE: Open Letter Invitation...Add Your Voice to the Chorus

Posted 03-17-2020 01:16 PM
    I wholeheartedly agree. And, it is not unprecedented.  ​
    I have been inundated with emails from businesses that carry "reward points" or "statuses" or "expiration dates" and virtually all of them are extending (or forgiving) deadlines.  The Whitehouse just announced extension of the Tax return date!   I do not think it unreasonable at all to extend at least 90 days, especially with the cancelling of CI.
    On the other hand, they may be hesitant to do that, as they will want attendees for their "virtual CI" and obtaining CEUs may be the driver for many who sign up.
    Just throwing out some thoughts to consider in our position.

Marcia Rasch
    Compliance Officer
    HealthSource of Ohio
    Loveland,OH

• 12.  RE: Open Letter Invitation...Add Your Voice to the Chorus

Posted 03-18-2020 08:38 AM
    ​I agree with Marcia.  I am hoping that the virtual CI will provide the opportunity to earn all the CEUs that could have been earned at Nashville. I also support an extension by the CCB for those approaching expiration of their certifications and for those who were planning to take an exam at Nashville.
    We are all currently dealing with unprecedented upheaval in both our professional and personal lives. Anything HCCA/CCB can do to alleviate our stress will be a hugely appreciated.
    Charlie

Charles Colitre BBA, CHC, CHPC
    Compliance & Privacy Officer
    Crystal Clinic Orthopaedic Center
    Akron,OH

• 13.  RE: Open Letter Invitation...Add Your Voice to the Chorus

Posted 03-17-2020 02:20 PM

Hi Frank,

Great idea!  Yes, this is reasonable, since right now everything is turned upside down for people.  HCCA has an opportunity to help by stepping in relieving one burden for some people, let them have one less thing to worry about right now.

Thanks for all you do!

Brenda

• 14.  RE: Open Letter Invitation...Add Your Voice to the Chorus

Posted 03-18-2020 09:20 AM
    As one of those people who desperately needs the CEUs, I agree with requesting an extension from HCCA/CCB.

Cindy Hart LPN, CPA, CPC, CHC
    Port Charlotte, FL

• 15.  RE: Open Letter Invitation...Add Your Voice to the Chorus

Posted 03-18-2020 07:36 AM
    I agree with the extension under the circumstances. HCCA is to post the information about the virtual conference today (3/18). I'll attempt to secure my needed CEUs during the virtual conference (assuming they will offer them). And this is from someone who has to renew at the end of April. The other option we could request from HCCA is that they waive the $50 fee to extend the period to gain CEUs by 2 months. If any webinars are cancelled in the next month or two, that would impact people recertifying as well. All points to some form of extension.
    Thanks to all, stay safe.

Camille Cohen
    Compliance Manager
    Ingenious Med
    Marietta,GA

• 16.  RE: Open Letter Invitation...Add Your Voice to the Chorus

Posted 03-18-2020 07:39 AM
    Agreed....there are many extensions that are being granted.  In NJ, they extended​ the expiration dates for car inspections, registrations, etc.....and I suspect we may see an extension of tax filings.

I think an extension of due dates for CEUs is essential....and I'd start with 6 months.  I would also suggest they consider changing the number of credits that have to be "live" credits...these may be harder to achieve.

While I think it is great they are planning a virtual conference, many health care workers could be quite busy during that time period, so that may not be realistic.

Tim

Timothy Koob
    Compliance Officer & Director
    AtlantiCare
    Egg Harbor Township,NJ

• 17.  RE: Open Letter Invitation...Add Your Voice to the Chorus

Posted 03-18-2020 08:15 AM
    I'm hoping the HCCA conference can be rescheduled in the Fall (Sept-Oct).  I realize many things must be "glued" back into place to make this happen, but they already have the speakers set up, the venue, etc., and by no means do I mean to simplify the process .  But with the pieces having been already in place, simply reassemble them for the Fall.

Regarding the CEUs, push the dates back by 6 months so that those relying on the HCCA conference can meet their requirements at the Fall meeting.

Jim Parks
    Director of Compliance
    Summit Medical Group
    Knoxville,TN

• 18.  RE: Open Letter Invitation...Add Your Voice to the Chorus

Posted 03-18-2020 08:17 AM
    I think, as some of you may have seen my posts...until further notice...people may have up to 3 months beyond their recertification date to accumulate CEUs.  I'm sure HCCA and CCB will reassess as things continue to develop...but I think this is a very solid start!

Lisa Bibby - Jan - CHPC
    Kelly Puida - Mar CHPC

• 19.  RE: Open Letter Invitation...Add Your Voice to the Chorus

Posted 03-18-2020 09:11 AM
    ​Frank,
     I was one of the people counting on a session here in Boston for my live credits to support my re-certifications in August and October of this year.  When requesting my refund I also asked what HCCA will be doing to assist those like me and as outlined in your post.  I have not heard back from them at this point.   I fully support being part of any method to communicate your suggestions.

Lynn Shields, RN,BSN,MBA
    CHC CHPC, CIP
    Director of Clinical & Research Compliance
    Cape Cod Healthcare, Inc
    Hyannis,MA
    lshields@capecodhealth.org (508) 862-5812

• 20.  RE: Open Letter Invitation...Add Your Voice to the Chorus

Posted 03-19-2020 12:43 PM
    I agree as well.  My employer has banned all travel through June 30th and I was counting on the CEUs I was expecting to receive at the joint HCCA/SCCE conference in May/June.

Stacie McCutcheon
    Privacy Officer
    Louisville,KY

• 21.  RE: Open Letter Invitation...Add Your Voice to the Chorus

Posted 03-20-2020 11:07 AM
    Absolutely agree about some sort of extension or grace period. Within reason, though.​

Rachel Anderson
    Chief Compliance Officer
    Boone County Hospital
    Boone,IA

• 22.  RE: Open Letter Invitation...Add Your Voice to the Chorus

Posted 03-20-2020 11:52 AM
    I, too, agree with our list serve members here, that these being extraordinary circumstances require business, such as CCB and HCCA, to provide extensions to complete the re-certification process. After all, people's lives are so disrupted at the moment that attending a conference, even virtual, is not a priority. Maintaining ones health and health of loved ones and our community is the priority. 

Best regards, 
    Judith Marshall JD RN 
    CHC CHRC CHPC 

Sent from my iPhone

• 23.  RE: Open Letter Invitation...Add Your Voice to the Chorus

Posted 03-20-2020 03:58 PM

Sharing information on the webinar below.  My information may populate in the registration and you would need to enter your own.  Hope this helps.

https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/7714448864007501580

The Compliance Team is hosting a live webinar next Tuesday, March 24 12:30 pm CST

COVID-19 and Rural Health Clinics

·     Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommendations for clinics

·     Signs and symptoms of COVID-19 infection

·     Methods for preventing the spread of COVID-19

·     Rooming a patient who might be infected

·     Reporting procedures

·     Recommended signage to include on clinic front doors

·     Recommended measures to protect yourself, your staff and your patients

The information contained in this email is intended only for the use of the person(s) identified above. This communication may contain work product which is privileged and confidential, and may contain content which is regulated by Federal law. If you are not an intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible to deliver this to the intended recipient, you have received this message in error and any review, distribution or copying of it by you is prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately, and delete the message. E-mail and communication system messages generated by members of the Grant Memorial Hospital workforce may not necessarily reflect the views of Grant Memorial Hospital, its officers, or directors or management.