Chief Compliance and Ethics Officer Health Care

IMPORTANT..SECURITY ALERT...EVERYONE PLEASE READ!!!

• 1.  IMPORTANT..SECURITY ALERT...EVERYONE PLEASE READ!!!

Posted 07-07-2020 08:57 AM
    It is often suggested to use CAPS only sparingly and only when significant emphasis is needed.  Sometimes you hear people write that using CAPS is like yelling.  Well today is a time to use ALL CAPS in the subject line.

Security is an important topic, on that I think most people would agree.  For some reason, when going to HCCAnet, I see that our CHC eGroup colleague Mia's user account was wide open.  This means that potentially anyone could go into her account and do whatever they wanted.  To prove this, notice I added a new 1st line to her discussion signature ("Mia...please make sure to remove this line.") and I copied and pasted her notification settings.  Nothing confidential of course...but I know there are some that may question what I am describing so this may help prove what I am describing is true.  I also posted this SECURITY alert on the CHC eGroup using Mia's account.

Here's the rub...NONE OF YOU...including myself know if your account on HCCAnet may also be like Mia's and essentially open to anyone who logs into HCCAnet.

I am going to alert HCCAnet and Mia right away.  I am also going to review my account info and remove any info that I would not want someone who has accessed my account to use or know.  For me, that's not much...but I think I will just the same to remind myself of what happened and how it may happen to others.

Thank you for your attention to this important, in my view, posting.  I'm going to call Mia right now and alert her of this issue.

Note the info below...nothing confidential...but info that is only viewable from the user's account after they have logged in.

------------------------------
    -------------Frank "Snake Bite Leader" Ruelas--------------
    ► We don't fail unless we quit! ◄
    Bill Wong's Resource Folder: https://bit.ly/BillWong
    NEXT UP:
    A&M Session: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/5NLQCMG

░ Pass the Exam Group for 2020 ░
    Melissa Singleton - Jan - CHPC
    Julie Clutter - Jan - CHPC
    Tanisha Grant - Feb - CHC
    Lisa Bibby - Jan - CHPC
    Kelly Puida - Mar - CHPC
    Christina Serrano - Mar - CHC
    Rachel Anderson - May - CHC
    Melissa Alexander - June - CHC
    Theresa Veazey - June - CHC
    Barbara Zubeck - June - CHPC
    Patricia Radatz - June - CHC
    19th Annual CEI Virtual Conference

• 2.  RE: IMPORTANT..SECURITY ALERT...EVERYONE PLEASE READ!!!

Posted 07-07-2020 11:45 AM

Wow.  Thank you, Frank.  Had no idea! 

Aracely Smith, CHC, CHPC

Chief Compliance & Privacy Officer
    PIONEERS
    Memorial Healthcare District
    asmith@pmhd.org -  (760) 351-3253

ANONYMOUS COMPLIANCE HOTLINE  855-599-3602 or ONLINE https://pmhd.alertline.com

"Be sure and put your feet in the right place, and then stand firm." A. Lincoln

• 3.  RE: IMPORTANT..SECURITY ALERT...EVERYONE PLEASE READ!!!

Posted 07-07-2020 01:27 PM

Thank you Frank, for sharing this information!

Cinda

******************************************* This message and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.

• 4.  RE: IMPORTANT..SECURITY ALERT...EVERYONE PLEASE READ!!!

Posted 07-07-2020 03:48 PM
    Thank you Frank.   we can never be over cautious.
    Mary Blahut

• 5.  RE: IMPORTANT..SECURITY ALERT...EVERYONE PLEASE READ!!!

Posted 07-08-2020 07:50 AM
    ​Wow...Thanks Frank! I will be checking.
    Vicky

Vicky Roe RN CPMA CHC Compliance Clinical Auditor
    Southeast Georgia Health System
    Brunswick, GASheldon Roe

• 6.  RE: IMPORTANT..SECURITY ALERT...EVERYONE PLEASE READ!!!

Posted 07-09-2020 05:04 PM
    First, Frank do you ever sleep? Second, thanks for sharing Third, does anyone know if HCCAnet has identified what the issue is and fixed it. As an association full of compliance and privacy professionals, one would hope there is an emphasis on privacy and security compliance. They could also be a risk if this is a violation of the privacy policy they have posted. Marti

Marti Arvin, JD, CHC-F, CCEP-F, CHRC, CHPC
    Executive Advisor
    CynergisTek, Inc.
    Marti.arvin@cynergistek.com
    615-540-8071