Chief Compliance and Ethics Officer Health Care

Is asking if have COVID symptoms PHI?

• 1.  Is asking if have COVID symptoms PHI?

Posted 07-07-2020 12:01 PM
    How many believe that if the following question is asked of our employees, it is considered PHI?

Do you have any of the COVID symptoms listed above? Mark "yes" if you do. If no, click "submit."

------------------------------
    Nicole Goodman
    University Compliance Manager/HIPAA Privacy Officer
    Western Washington University
    Bellingham,WA
    19th Annual CEI Virtual Conference

• 2.  RE: Is asking if have COVID symptoms PHI?

Posted 07-07-2020 12:18 PM
    For me it depends on what "hat" the person is wearing.  If they are considered a patient and being treated as a patient then yes, I would consider it PHI if at least one identifier is attached to the information.

If they are considered an employee and being asked as part of the employee health/surveillance program, then I would not consider it PHI.

For example, every morning when I come to the office I have to fill out a questionnaire which includes my name, employee ID #, temperature, and answers to a few questions regarding some symptoms associated with COVID-19.  I don't consider myself a patient and don't consider my information PHI since it's for our employee health program.​

David Garrison
    Compliance/Privacy Officer
    SEARHC
    Juneau,AK

• 3.  RE: Is asking if have COVID symptoms PHI?

Posted 07-08-2020 11:59 AM

I agree with David's comment, it depends on the hat.

Marti Arvin

Executive Advisor

CynergisTek, Inc.

P. 512-402-8550, ext. 7051

C. 615-540-8071

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity, which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone or return email, delete the message from your computer system, and return any hard copies to us at the following address via the U.S. Postal Service: CynergisTek, Inc. 11940 Jollyville Road, Suite 300-N, Austin, TX 78759. Thank you.

Please consider the environment before printing this email.

• 4.  RE: Is asking if have COVID symptoms PHI?

Posted 07-10-2020 11:25 AM
    I'd probably look to 45 CFR 160.103 to answer this. Under definition of Protected Health Information it states:

(2) Protected health information excludes individually identifiable health information
    (iii) In employment records held by a covered entity in its role as employer.

James Bishop JD, MPA, CHPC

• 5.  RE: Is asking if have COVID symptoms PHI?

Posted 07-10-2020 11:34 AM
    Agreed...to me the key goes back to a simple Yes/NO question that can help clear up possible confusion.

Is the entity acting in its role as employer or as a health care provider in the provision of services?

In my view, and I have no problem from a C&C that people may go in similar or different directions, the entity is acting in a role of employer in the scenario.

Thanks James for sharing that reference as it may also help provide useful clarification.

-------------Frank "Snake Bite Leader" Ruelas--------------
    ► We don't fail unless we quit! ◄
    Bill Wong's Resource Folder: https://bit.ly/BillWong
    NEXT UP:
    Saturday A&M Session

░ Pass the Exam Group for 2020 ░
    Melissa Singleton - Jan - CHPC
    Julie Clutter - Jan - CHPC
    Tanisha Grant - Feb - CHC
    Lisa Bibby - Jan - CHPC
    Kelly Puida - Mar - CHPC