Privacy Officer's Roundtable

• 1.  Patient cancelling complaint

Posted 11-03-2015 01:21 PM

Hi all.  How do you all handle a complaint from a patient then a couple days later the patient requests you to no longer investigate their complaint?  Do you stop or do you continue with your investigation?

------------------------------
    David Garrison CHC,MPH
    Compliance/Privacy Officer
    SEARHC
    Juneau,AK
    SCCE Membership

• 2.  RE: Patient cancelling complaint

Posted 11-04-2015 06:17 AM

David,

We will honor the patient's wishes and give them the opportunity to contact us back if they change their mind. However, if we already uncovered any wrongdoing, we will act upon it.

Nancy O'Neill, RN, MBA, CHC
    Manager, Corporate
    BayCare Health System
    Clearwater, Florida

SCCE Membership

• 3.  RE: Patient cancelling complaint

Posted 11-04-2015 11:28 AM

In my role we would continue to investigate the complaint. I would try to find out why the patient wants to end the investigation and likely discontinue contact with them either way. It is our job to maintain the integrity of our network of providers and promote due diligence in our investigations. I would not tell the patient that we would end the investigation at their request. Here is a truly cynical and somewhat extreme example of what could have occurred - the provider bribed the patient to request the investigation ends. 

Good luck!

Margaux Weinstein
    Chief Compliance Officer
    Chiropractic Care of Minnesota, Inc
    Shoreview,MN

SCCE Membership

• 4.  RE: Patient cancelling complaint

Posted 11-04-2015 01:07 PM

David,

I would say that's a judgment call.  If you believe the patient's initial compliant has any merit, it would be a good idea to continue the investigation.  If not, I would say you could cease the investigation and document the complaint, initial investigation activity and the fact that the patient asked that the complaint no longer be investigated.

Chris

Chris Apgar CISSP
    CEO and President
    Apgar and Associates, LLC
    Portland,OR

SCCE Membership