Privacy Officer's Roundtable

Tell Me What You Do for Privacy Education

• 1.  Tell Me What You Do for Privacy Education

Posted 08-12-2020 12:00 PM
    I'm about to embark on a new fiscal year on Oct. 1 and looking to do something completely different with privacy education. I'm thinking about ditching the annual in-service in lieu of something else. I have concerns that in-services are not always the most effective means of educating staff because they are rolled out with numerous other in-services at the same time and it can be like drinking from the information fire hose. What are some things you all do that you find effective? I'm considering taking the allotted annual in-service time/credit hours and dividing them up per month into small tidbits to 1) save time and money developing education, 2) keep things fresh and relevant,  3) keep privacy top of mind, 4) improve engagement and 5) add more measures of effectiveness. Thank you in advance.

------------------------------
    Brenda Manning J.D., C.H.C., C.H.P.C.
    Privacy Director
    Interim Privacy Officer
    Carilion Clinic

The views expressed herein are my own and do not represent those of my employer. They are not meant to constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship.
    2020 SCCE Membership

• 2.  RE: Tell Me What You Do for Privacy Education

Posted 08-12-2020 02:07 PM
      |   view attached

Brenda,

I provide education in several ways:

·         I email quarterly 2 page newsletters that usually focus on one topic per issue.  I've attached my April newsletter which was a little different as I focused on FAQ's.  I also use humor and pictures of employee's pets in my communications.  Employees love it! 

·         I frequently email Hot Topics, a brief, one-page flyer that can be about anything.  I will usually send out a Hot Topics email when I see there is a trend of wrongdoing, misunderstanding, etc.

·         Video (I will try to attach one that I made; if it doesn't work, my apologies!).  I created the video using Vyond, which was quite fun to do.  I am not promoting Vyond specifically, but it was easy once I got the hang of it, and affordable.  It cost about $80/month and I made about 5 videos, then suspended my membership until the next time I want to make videos.

Cinda

******************************************* This message and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.

Attachment(s)

2020 SCCE Membership

• 3.  RE: Tell Me What You Do for Privacy Education

Posted 08-12-2020 02:29 PM
    I also e-mail a monthly Compliance Bulletin, which lately has been focused on HIPAA stuff.  I try to keep it simple and something that only takes 1 to 2 minutes to read.

David Garrison
    Compliance/Privacy Officer

P: 907.364.4466 F: 907.463.4075
    3100 Channel Drive, Suite 300 | Juneau, AK 99801

-- This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential, may be protected by state and federal privacy laws, and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you are not the named addressee, do not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail or any attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail in error, and delete this e-mail and any attachments from your system.

2020 SCCE Membership

• 4.  RE: Tell Me What You Do for Privacy Education

Posted 08-12-2020 06:15 PM
    Kamryn Ray is a movie star. That was funny Cinda.

Carl Russell
    Compliance Analyst, CHPC
    Delta Dental of Idaho
    Boise,ID

Anything I say is my sole opinion and not of my company.

2020 SCCE Membership

• 5.  RE: Tell Me What You Do for Privacy Education

Posted 08-13-2020 09:00 AM

LOL!  Thanks Carl!

Cinda

******************************************* This message and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.

2020 SCCE Membership

• 6.  RE: Tell Me What You Do for Privacy Education

Posted 08-12-2020 06:20 PM
    I've put together some homemade videos just using my iPhone and PowerPoint. I try to involve staff members. I'll have a theme such as a private detective, or Santa's helper. Then I'll catch people doing something wrong like leaving their computer unlocked or throwing PHI in the trash. It's all in good fun, everyone gets a kick out of it seeing their coworkers messing up, and they tend to remember the theme of the video, generally just one concept. I've even involved the CEO and other upper management.

Carl Russell
    Compliance Analyst, CHPC
    Delta Dental of Idaho
    Boise,ID

2020 SCCE Membership

• 7.  RE: Tell Me What You Do for Privacy Education

Posted 08-13-2020 09:00 AM

Great idea!

Cinda

2020 SCCE Membership

• 8.  RE: Tell Me What You Do for Privacy Education

Posted 08-12-2020 07:01 PM
    Here are a few snapshots of some of the videos I've done.

Video Training

Carl Russell
    Compliance Analyst, CHPC
    Delta Dental of Idaho
    Boise,ID

2020 SCCE Membership

• 9.  RE: Tell Me What You Do for Privacy Education

Posted 08-13-2020 09:01 AM

I love it!

Cinda

2020 SCCE Membership

• 10.  RE: Tell Me What You Do for Privacy Education

Posted 08-13-2020 08:35 AM
    ​I do Privacy walks.   These are informal walks that I team up with the IT Security Officer with and we visit the different areas throughout the year.  We walk through and look for opportunities to give kudos on things such as papers turned over, computers locked, etc.  And also identify areas that need improvements like computer screens facing the patients.  During this time we talk to staff and ask them questions and let them ask us questions.  During the month of October we use Cybersecurity Week as a way to promote Privacy and Security by picking a theme and dressing up in costumes and sending out posters, hosting a trivia game in the cafeteria for prizes and walk through the campuses on all three shifts.  We stay dressed up for the cafeterias and walk throughs and hand out gifts (usually something small like frisbees) and talk with staff.  This is all in addition to attending staff meetings and all the other normal education.

Tara Yeaton, RHIT, CHPC
    Director of HIM Operations
    Deputy Privacy Officer
    MaineGeneral Medical Center
    Augusta, Me

2020 SCCE Membership

• 11.  RE: Tell Me What You Do for Privacy Education

Posted 08-14-2020 09:05 AM
    Hey Brenda

Regardless of the mechanism you use to provide the training, I find that employees are more engaged when they hear of "real world" stories.  We can teach them the HIPAA principles over and over, but when we tie them to real world stuff, employees get a better understanding how HIPAA applies to them and their daily duties.  I like Cinda's approach.

Hernan Serrano
    St. Louis Metro Area

2020 SCCE Membership

• 12.  RE: Tell Me What You Do for Privacy Education

Posted 08-17-2020 12:04 PM
    Hi Everyone,

We have a Privacy Officer blog on our company intranet.  It is similar in nature to the newsletters or bulletins described in other posts in terms of content.  One benefit is that the content is there for posterity in case staff want to access in the future.

Great ideas everyone, thanks for sharing.

Aaron McCoy
    Privacy & Compliance Officer
    The Portland Clinic, LLP
    Portland,OR

2020 SCCE Membership