Privacy Officer's Roundtable

Pharmacy accredidation

• 1.  Pharmacy accredidation

Posted 06-09-2020 09:20 AM
    Edited by Savannah Knuettel 06-09-2020 09:34 AM
    I am not sure if anyone will have experience with this, but we are adding a pharmacy to our group practice and working on getting accreditated. I know some people hire consultants to do this and a class is even offered for this, but is anyone familiar with how hard it would be to do this on our own? I would be helping our pharmacist with this and we of course want to make sure we cover all of our bases. We have attorneys at our disposal for legal issues but again interested in those that may know if this is feasible to do utlizing our own resources and maybe purchasing an instruction book. :)

P.S I just realized my spelling is wrong in subject but can't edit now. :)

------------------------------
    Savannah Knuettel
    Compliance Officer
    Galen Medical Group
    Hixson,TN

The views expressed herein are my own and do not represent those of my employer or clients. They are not meant to constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship.
    2020 SCCE Membership

• 2.  RE: Pharmacy accredidation

Posted 06-10-2020 09:09 AM
    I cannot help you with accreditation of a pharmacy, but we have pharmacies in 2 of our Mental Health Clinics and satellite pharmacies in all of our other MH clinics.  We have a BAA with Genoa Healthcare (also a CE) who provides our pharmacy services and personnel.  We did have to make sure that the facilities who host the pharmacies had an area for them that meet all of the security and alarming requirements.  We have been using them for over 10 years or so and have not had any problems.  Good luck to you.

Lloyd Hemmert
    Compliance & Ethics Officer
    Hill Country MHDD Centers
    Kerrville,TX
    [lhemmert@hillcountry.org]

2020 SCCE Membership

• 3.  RE: Pharmacy accredidation

Posted 06-10-2020 09:40 AM
    Thank you I will look into this. I am going to watch a compliance webinar from ACHC today so hoping I will get some more insight of potential risks, etc. Our pharmacist is also going to go ahead and take the ACHC virtual workshop that was recommended on here.

Savannah Knuettel
    Compliance Officer
    Galen Medical Group
    Hixson,TN

The views expressed herein are my own and do not represent those of my employer or clients. They are not meant to constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship.

2020 SCCE Membership

• 4.  RE: Pharmacy accredidation

Posted 06-10-2020 11:07 AM

Savannah,

The requirements are going to largely be driven by your State Board of Pharmacy. All the information you'll need should be available on the Board website...forms for licensing, etc. If Tennessee doesn't have a good website, then you can also check directly with the Board.

The NABP also has some resources on accreditation on their website that might be helpful.

Best Regards,

Scot Lovejoy   

Scot Lovejoy RPh. CHC CHPC

Chief Pharmacy Officer

Compliance Officer

Agadia_itself (625x184) (625x184) (100x29)

9 Campus Drive, Suite 200

Parisippany, N.J. 07054

(O) 973-540-8400  x227

(C) 973-570-3803

(F) 973-540-8440

Confidentiality Notice:  This e-mail is intended only for the person(s) to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is confidential, proprietary, privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure.  If you are not an intended recipient, please (i) do not read, copy or use this communication, or disclose it to others, (ii) notify the sender immediately by replying to the message, and (iii) delete the e-mail from your system.  Thank you.

No copyright infringement intended.

2020 SCCE Membership

• 5.  RE: Pharmacy accredidation

Posted 06-15-2020 06:04 PM
    For what it's worth, the last organization I worked for opened a pharmacy and we did use a consultant.  From my perspective, the consultant's most valuable asset was their relationship with vendors, insurers, and oversight bodies.  I think the technical components could have been handled internally without too much difficulty.

Emily Roberts
    Compliance/Privacy Manager

The opinions expressed are my own and are not intended to represent the positions, strategies or opinions of my employer.

2020 SCCE Membership

• 6.  RE: Pharmacy accredidation

Posted 06-22-2020 03:29 PM

Savannah,

We have two accreditations, and I was here during the process for both. I'd be happy to talk to you. Shoot me an email: trentstechschulte@equitashealth.com

EquitasColorbar

Trent Stechschulte

General Counsel & Compliance Officer

Pronouns: He/Him/His

trentstechschulte@equitashealth.com

8bd83361-5d4f-4dca-bf2f-4aa6ab4a3148@namprd04.prod.outlook.com

Crosswoods (Administration)

7575 Huntington Park Dr., Suite 200

Columbus, OH 43235

p: (614) 340-6781

f: (614) 987-5232

c: (419) 236-5310

equitashealth.com

Compliance concerns can be reported anonymously, if desired, through our Compliance Manager software by selecting to do so in the incident reporting feature. Click here to access Compliance Manager.

This email and all attachments that may have been included are intended only for the use of the party to whom/which the email is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the addressee or the employee or agent of the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from printing, storing, disseminating, distributing, or copying this communication. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the HIPAA Compliance Officer at (614) 299-2437.

2020 SCCE Membership