Privacy Officer's Roundtable

Employee Flu Shot Clinics

• 1.  Employee Flu Shot Clinics

Posted 02-18-2020 06:06 AM
    Our organization requires employee flu shots (with limited exceptions). To assist in vaccinating such a large workforce in a short period of time we offer numerous clinics in large open settings that afford little privacy. Employees who fail to timely comply are subject to discipline. I realize this falls under the employer umbrella, but how do other organizations address the privacy component if at all? My team has requested the use of a portable privacy screen next year due to employee complaints but we are receiving pushback. If employees are uncomfortable with this type of setting are their options to simply make an appointment at their PCP or go to employee health? I appreciated any thoughts and feedback. Thank you.

------------------------------
    Brenda Manning J.D., C.H.C., C.H.P.C.
    Compliance Director, Privacy
    Interim Privacy Officer
    Carilion Clinic

The views expressed herein are my own and do not represent those of my employer. They are not meant to constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship.
    2020 SCCE Membership

• 2.  RE: Employee Flu Shot Clinics

Posted 02-19-2020 11:51 AM
    ​Our organization does the same.  We basically say if the employee wants to wait in the line to be given the shot in a conference room or hallway that they are set up in, that's their choice to do so.  But we offer the opportunity to make an appointment with employee health to do this privately if they choose.

Tara Yeaton, RHIT, CHPC
    Director of HIM Operations
    Deputy Privacy Officer
    MaineGeneral Medical Center
    Augusta, Me

2020 SCCE Membership

• 3.  RE: Employee Flu Shot Clinics

Posted 02-19-2020 12:27 PM

Brenda,

Besides scheduling an appointment with an employee's PCP employees can go to most pharmacies to get a flu shot.  I get mine at the Safeway pharmacy that's near me.  Most pharmacies have a private room to administer vaccines.

Chris

Chris Apgar, CISSP

CEO & President

(503) 384-2538 (o)

(503) 816-8555 (c)

(503) 384-2539 (f)

capgar@apgarandassoc.com

www.apgarandassoc.com

Privacy | Information Security | Compliance | Certification Readiness | Security Incident Response

apgarlogofinal2014

The information contained in this email message is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this document in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by email, and destroy the original message.

2020 SCCE Membership

• 4.  RE: Employee Flu Shot Clinics

Posted 02-20-2020 05:30 AM
    While I appreciate the PCP option and other offsite options, they may increase costs for our staff and create paperwork logistical issues in terms of confirming the vaccine has been given. We have 13k+ employees, a tight window and our staff receive disciplinary actions for non-compliance.  I am of the mindset that we should make onsite clinics as easy and accommodating as possible for our staff especially since they're required and subject to discipline. Appreciate everyone's feedback on how other organizations handle these situations. Quite helpful!

Brenda Manning J.D., C.H.C., C.H.P.C.
    Compliance Director, Privacy
    Carilion Clinic

The views expressed herein are my own and do not represent those of my employer. They are not meant to constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship.

2020 SCCE Membership