2017 Compliance Institute

Last Post...Evals

• 1.  Last Post...Evals

Posted 04-18-2017 09:25 AM
    First and foremost...I want to thank anyone and everyone who submitted any feedback on 2018 sessions.  For the speakers that look at their evals (personally I thank HCCA for sending it and then I hit delete...and I do not read it.  I know some people feel that may be hard to believe...but that's what I do...) please don't take the comments too seriously.

It is easy to take the feedback all too seriously.  Rest assured, your session was well received...how do you know...think back to your session...did your audience appear engaged...did you feel you delivered your key points...did you emphasize what you thought was most important.  You know better than anyone else whether you succeeded or not.  This is what I think you should focus on...see how you can make it better and then do a key step...

Commit yourself to continuing to share you info and experience with others and submit another session proposal for the next CI.

Good luck to all!

------------------------------
    Frank Ruelas
    19th Annual CEI Virtual Conference

• 2.  RE: Last Post...Evals

Posted 04-18-2017 11:04 AM
    I received the eval for my session today. (603: Are You Billing the New PT and OT Evaluation Codes Properly).  I glanced quickly - looking to see if anyone commented on the custom audit tool - and they did.

I agree with you Frank about evals.  In the mid-80's I coordinated and hosted a live seminar and practicum on Functional Electrical Stimulation (FES) in Spinal Cord Injury at Tulsa Rehabilitation Center (I was the director of the Spinal Cord Injury Program at the time.  The presenters were physicians, engineers, and researchers from the Yublijana (Russia) Rehab Institute.  Physical therapists were able to gain knowledge of the technique and a live practicum with SCI patients was conducted over the course of 2 days.  It was an incredible, fantastic seminar - and my rehab hospital in Tulsa Oklahoma was far and away at the cutting edge in spinal cord injury during this time period.

Now for the rest of the story - the evals focused on the cold coffee and the fact that there was not a toaster or crème cheese for the bagels etc.  That taught me to take evals with a grain of salt.......  To this day I still remember whenever I quickly glance at an evaluation of my presentation, and have a chuckle.

Nancy Beckley
    Nancy Beckley & Associates LLC
    Milwaukee WI

• 3.  RE: Last Post...Evals

Posted 04-18-2017 03:20 PM
    I was in the professional development category.  I would like to thank everyone for the incredibly kind comments. I am glad that so many people found value in my topic. It was such an amazing experience & I'm glad I stepped out of my comfort zone.

I had one person who had nothing nice to say and indicated that I talked too much about myself and that my advice to hire a resume consultant was not practical & feasible. This upsets me, because it means that I didn't clearly get my point across. I wanted people to understand that I was sharing my story and the struggles I experienced / lessons I learned.  I worked with 2 reasonably priced consultants that came from word of mouth that netted me a tremendous ROI. Part of my theme was flexibility of approach and these were just options that I tossed out there. Good to know, that this came across negatively for at least one person, so I know how to better approach the subject in the future and discuss the ROI.

Brenda Manning, JD, CHC, CHPC

The views expressed herein are my own and do not represent those of my employer. They are not meant to constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship.

• 4.  RE: Last Post...Evals

Posted 04-18-2017 05:45 PM

For individuals that signed up for Compliance Investigations 101: CO Toolbox, thank you for attending the session. On behalf of the presenters, I thank you for selecting our session to attend.

For our session, our goal was to review tools that we use when conducting investigations. When discussing this presentation, I wanted to make sure attendees had something in their hand that they could begin using the next day. Most attendees understood and expressed their appreciation for that approach. Based on the feedback, some thought that we were going to discuss how to conduct an investigation interview. Conducting an interview was a small portion. The tools and how we use them were the major focus of our discussion. In that area, it's possible that I could have done a better job of communicating that point but it was addressed in the opening.

Like Frank and Nancy have stated, you have to find the humor and keep it moving.

I have the pleasure of chairing one of the regional conferences. I look at the feedback about 3-5 times to make sure the following year's agenda represents what attendees' request and provides relevant topics. Similar to what presenters experience at the CI, there are always  a couple of discouraging comments. From the regional conference perspective, I see these responses:

·         Did you like the topics? No

·         Do you like the location? No

·         Did you like the food? No

·         Would you attend next year? No

·         Would you recommend this conference to a colleague? No

·         Did you like the presenters? No

·         Did you find the handouts useful? No.

Most importantly, congratulations to those that were selected to present and to those that received budget approval to attend.

Walter

Confidentiality Notice: This email message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original.

• 5.  RE: Last Post...Evals

Posted 04-19-2017 08:59 AM

I want to preface this by saying that I was not able to attend Brenda's, Nancy's or Walters sessions. I did have the pleasure of attending Frank's session and "The Three Amigos" session in which Frank, Walter and Bill co-presented. (In my opinion - both were fantastic!)

I do want to say thank you to all of you, as I know from personally speaking with Brenda, Frank and Walter the time and preparation that went into their sessions.

Also, Brenda - I may have already mentioned this to you at the CI - but someone sitting next to me in another session told their colleague that they attended your session and it was - "The best session that they had been to in the CI!" I think that says ALOT!

Janine Fadul CHC

• 6.  RE: Last Post...Evals

Posted 04-20-2017 06:25 PM

I had the pleasure of attending Walter's team's session, Frank's session and Brenda's session and they were all GREAT as was the "Three Amigos" session. The man sitting beside me in Frank's session leaned over to me at the end and said "I'm exhausted". I shared that comment with Frank and I don't know how he took it but I thought it was a huge compliment. I am still trying to catch up and wrap my mind around all the information from Walter's session but I really want to begin using the tools you gave us. Brenda your session was based on your personal experience and so it was about you and you shared great tips and hints for improving our online and in person image.

Thank you all for sharing your experience and expertise with us!!

Sherrie A. King

Compliance Auditor

Appalachian Regional Healthcare System

828-263-1207

saking@apprhs.org

Them has left the building, it's just Us.

"Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong even if everyone is for it."

William Penn

­­