Chief Compliance and Ethics Officers Health Care

Compliance Department Operations Manual

• 1.  Compliance Department Operations Manual

Posted 7 days ago
    Hello,

​​In the HCCA-OIG "Measuring Compliance Program Effectiveness: A Resource Guide" document published in January 2017, the guidance talks in 1.58 about maintaining a "compliance department operations manual"

Could you share with me what your thoughts are about what an operations manual consists of, other than compliance department policies?

The section in the HCCA-OIG document is Compliance Plan:

1.57 Maintain compliance plan and program

1.58 Maintain compliance department operations manual

Thank you as always for your guidance.

------------------------------
    Brian Harley CHC,CHPC
    Sr Dir Compliance & Ethics
    Nemours
    Orlando,FL

• 2.  RE: Compliance Department Operations Manual

Posted 7 days ago
    ​Hi Brian:
    I would suggest the Compliance Manual would have copies of Forms used to conduct:
    Risk Assessments
    Monitoring (Walkthrough Checklists)
    Audit forms
    Complaint Forms
    NPP
    Authorization for the Release of PHI forms
    AoD Logs
    Forms for Access, Amendment (as well as denial of same) of PHI

There are many more forms to include, but I tend to think of it as: If I left tomorrow could someone come in and be able to resume my duties.

Dr. Randy Lewis, LMFT, CHPC
    HIPAA Privacy Officer
    Orange County Government
    Orlando, FL

• 3.  RE: Compliance Department Operations Manual

Posted 7 days ago

My operations manuals (not just for the compliance department) have been, depending on organization size, the how-to overview at least, the comprehensive knowledge base at most. My compliance department ops manual captures how to fulfill the compliance department's needs for reliability, is a basis for continuous improvement, and of course business continuity. Kind of the meta-P&P, in a sense. Includes processes, forms, history/justification for processes susceptible to changing course mid-stream; mine includes a rough calendar outline that helps define what "regular monitoring" means in practice and that is updated at least annually for system / process changes / work plan focus areas. I believe it needs to be maintained for accuracy to allow the team using it to shift along with changes in strategy over time with integrity. An operations manual's upkeep is a signal of the value of that activity by the leadership and which in turn drives a rules-based compliance culture.

• 4.  RE: Compliance Department Operations Manual

Posted 7 days ago

We are writing Standard Work s for all of our processes such as, investigations, exclusion checks, conflicts of interest, etc.  There are two goals in this: one is to reduce variation/improve efficiency and also to provide a very concise process steps for anyone in our department or new to our department.

Jim

Jim Bowman, CHC

Regional Compliance Manager

Description: <a href=image001.jpg@01D1632B.910962B0">

Office of Compliance and Integrity

80 Seymour Street

Hartford, CT 0610

860-972-4093 Office

860-214-6147 Cell

860-545-3550 Fax

If received in error, please notify me by

e-mail and delete this message

This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message, including any attachments.

• 5.  RE: Compliance Department Operations Manual

Posted 6 days ago
    LOL I wrote a book like that once Jim. The day after I finished it I didn't have a job.

Brenda Manning J.D., C.H.C., C.H.P.C.
    Compliance Director, Privacy
    Carilion Administrative Services Building, Ste. 1201
    213 S. Jefferson Street
    Roanoke, VA 24011
    (540) 224-5757
    Fax: (540) 510-224-5787
    Integrity Help Line Compliance: (844) 732-6232
    bkmanning@carilionclinic.org

Our Mission: Improve the health of the communities we serve.

The views expressed herein are my own and do not represent those of my employer. They are not meant to constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship.

• 6.  RE: Compliance Department Operations Manual

Posted 6 days ago
    Jim,

On a somewhat related note...what is your use, if any, on the use of flowcharts or other tools to help visualize the steps in the processes that you are reviewing and defining?

I am a long time proponent of the use of flowcharts.

A well constructed flowchart is priceless...as is often the process of creating it...as these both help define easy to follow, practically based work processes, in my opinion.

◘ August - Reread HIPAA Rules Subparts C, D, and E ◘
    -----------Frank Ruelas------------

• 7.  RE: Compliance Department Operations Manual

Posted 6 days ago

Yes.  We use flow charts.  One of the best that I've seen is a flow chart used to determine whether authorization is needed in order to disclose PHI upon request.  Thanks.

Jim

Jim Bowman, CHC

Regional Compliance Manager

Description: <a href=image001.jpg@01D1632B.910962B0">

Office of Compliance and Integrity

80 Seymour Street

Hartford, CT 0610

860-972-4093 Office

860-214-6147 Cell

860-545-3550 Fax

If received in error, please notify me by

e-mail and delete this message

This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message, including any attachments.

• 8.  RE: Compliance Department Operations Manual

Posted 6 days ago
    Nice.

One of the flowcharts (and sample policies and procedures) that I've posted here that has gotten a lot of mileage is that related to a request for the amendment of PHI.  After posting the flowchart, I received emails from folks of the "Oops...I just realized we were missing a few steps!".

Flowcharts can really help in identifying not only key steps, but also identify steps that might be getting overlooked!

• 9.  RE: Compliance Department Operations Manual

Posted 6 days ago
    Dumb question - I know - but if I need a flow chart I have to have an administrative person who has "a program" to do this.  What do you need to do this yourself?  Any suggestions on learning how to do this?

Thanks!
    Kris

Kris Anderson, RHIT, CCS
    Quality/Privacy Officer
    Tri-County Health Care
    Wadena, MN 56482

• 10.  RE: Compliance Department Operations Manual

Posted 6 days ago
    Kris,

I must have missed something in your post as I didn't come across anything that I would remotely consider a "dumb question".  ☺

Now to your very good question about "HOW TO" (anytime I read someone asking about "HOW TO" they get my attention because it my view so many people can speak to a version of the 5WH1 model which is 5WH1 - H1...in that they do not explain HOW)...did you know you can create very effective flowcharts in Excel?  You can also create these in Word.  With a little practice...flowcharts can be done rather quickly and easily.

For some reason, I find using Excel much easier because it is easier to manipulate the shapes.  I use a number of programs for flowcharts but of all of the programs I've used to show people how to create flowcharts with tools they already have without having to go out and buy a flowcharting program....Excel does the trick.

Would a brief video going through the steps of creating a flowchart in Excel be helpful for you Kris?

• 11.  RE: Compliance Department Operations Manual

Posted 6 days ago

Hi Frank,

Not to cut in on Kris, but if you decide to do this, I hope you share (as you so often do).  I would definitely find it helpful!

Thank you,

Brenda

-------> ##################################### This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain private, proprietary, or legally privileged information. No privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it, and notify the sender. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient. Health First reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks. Any views or opinions expressed in this message are solely those of the individual sender, except (1) where the message states such views or opinions are on behalf of a particular entity; and (2) the sender is authorized by the entity to give such views or opinions. #####################################

• 12.  RE: Compliance Department Operations Manual

Posted 6 days ago
    I'll make you and others interested a deal...let's think of it as a Flowchart Friday idea.

If there's interest...let's see it by those onlist within this eGroup...AND...here's the kicker...if someone can provide a flowchart they've been using that maybe they can't edit because it was created in long lost software...or even has a hand drawn flowchart we can use as an example (for example they can scan and post)...then I say I am all for providing an instruction video on the HOW TO.

Let's see where this goes, if anywhere...as I'm glad to help.

• 13.  RE: Compliance Department Operations Manual

Posted 6 days ago
    I’d be interested.... I didn’t even know Excel could be used for this!

Thanks for offering to teach!

Best,
    Meggie
    Sent from my iPhone

• 14.  RE: Compliance Department Operations Manual

Posted 6 days ago

Count me in!

Jennifer Carpenter, CHC, CCEP
    Director of Compliance
    Lone Star Community Health Center
    Conroe, Texas

• 15.  RE: Compliance Department Operations Manual

Posted 5 days ago
    I am interested. Thanks Frank

Cindy Hart LPN, CPA, CPC, CHC
    Horsham, PA & Port Charlotte, FL

• 16.  RE: Compliance Department Operations Manual

Posted 4 days ago

I am interested!  I had no idea you could do flow charts in excel.  Thank you, Frank.

Please be green and think before printing this email, thank you.

* Confidentiality Notice *

This electronic message may contain confidential and legally protected information, intended only for the use of
    the individual or entity named in the message header. The authorized recipient of this information is prohibited
    from disclosing this information to any other party and is required to delete the electronic message after its
    stated need has been fulfilled. 

If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or action
    taken in reliance on the contents of this electronic message and/or any attachments is strictly prohibited.
    If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify the sender immediately to arrange for
    your electronic email address to be removed from the sender's personal address book and/or distribution list.

• 17.  RE: Compliance Department Operations Manual

Posted 15 hours ago

I'm interested.

Thanks,

Julie

Julie Tucker, MA, RN,CHC

Compliance department

220 Campus Blvd.

Winchester, Va 22601

jtucker@valleyhealthlink.com

540 536-7823

VH Email Logo.png

This message is intended only for the named recipient and may contain information that is confidential and privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient or have received this communication in error, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited, and requested to notify the above-named sender immediately by e-mail and destroy the original message and any copies you have made, electronic or otherwise. 

• 18.  RE: Compliance Department Operations Manual

Posted 4 days ago
    I'm interested in this...

Thanks
    Jackie

Jackie Robertson-Gutshall, CHC,CHPC
    Compliance Officer
    Advanced Regional Center for Ankle and Foot Care
    Altoona,PA

• 19.  RE: Compliance Department Operations Manual

Posted 3 days ago
    Thanks Jackie...I should know more about a date and time once I have a sample flowchart that someone would like to offer that we can use.

Stay tuned...

• 20.  RE: Compliance Department Operations Manual

Posted 3 days ago
    ​I, too, am interested. Thank you!

Courtney

Courtney Blau Esq.
    Adm Dir of Risk Management & Compliance
    Norman Regional Health System
    Norman,OK

• 21.  RE: Compliance Department Operations Manual

Posted 3 days ago
    Frank,

I'm definitely interested.

Tammi Worrell, RHIA, MHA
    Compliance Coordinator
    Reno, NV

• 22.  RE: Compliance Department Operations Manual

Posted 2 days ago
    Frank, Never used Excel for this, I've always been a Visio guy...but would love to see "How" to do it in Excel.

Scot Lovejoy RPh CHC
    Chief Pharmacy Officer, Privacy Officer
    Agadia Systems, Inc.
    Parsippany,NJ

• 23.  RE: Compliance Department Operations Manual

Posted 6 days ago
    A video would be great if it's not too much trouble!!!  I didn't know you could do this with Excel.  I would like to be able to do them myself.  When I have someone else do them,  I usually have to take it back to them many times for revisions.  Slow process.

Thank you for your offer.

Kris

Kris Anderson, RHIT, CCS
    Quality/Privacy Officer
    Tri-County Health Care
    Wadena, MN 56482

• 24.  RE: Compliance Department Operations Manual

Posted 6 days ago

I would guess...and let's see from our colleagues...that people were not aware.

Question:

How many folks both knew AND have created flowcharts in Excel?

If you want to post offlist...no problem...I am guessing 75% or more did not know that Excel can be used to create flowcharts.

• 25.  RE: Compliance Department Operations Manual

Posted 6 days ago
    I would join in, to participate in a How To Friday.

Carly Borenkind, LCSW

Director of Compliance, Privacy & Quality
    Compliance Officer- JASA
    247 W. 37th Street 9th Floor
    New York, NY 10018
    Ph: 212.273.5296
    eFax: 929.299.1132

Compliance Concerns can be reported anonymously, if desired, through the Compliance Hotline at 212-273-5288 or click here.  Concerns can also be emailed to complianceconcerns@jasa.org

Compliance: Here to help

On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 10:03 AM, Frank Ruelas via Society of Corporate Compliance and Ethics

• 26.  RE: Compliance Department Operations Manual

Posted 6 days ago
    ​I did not know you could create flow charts in Excel.  I create my flow charts in Word by adding text boxes and inserting the lines myself.  When I try to use Word's flowcharting, I can never get it the way I want it.  I would also love to create my own organization chart!

Cinda
    Compliance/Ethics & Privacy Director
    Ohio

• 27.  RE: Compliance Department Operations Manual

Posted 6 days ago

I generally do mine in word.  I have not done one in excel. 

I would be interested in a Friday learning session.

Joseph Zielinski, JD, CHC, CHRC

Corporate Compliance Program Director

4logos-01

3838 North Rural Street

Indianapolis, IN 46205

720 Eskenazi Ave

Fifth Third Bank Building, Fifth Floor

Indianapolis, IN 46202

P: 317-221-2478

C: 317-766-1838

E: Joseph.Zielinski@eskenazihealth.edu

Hotline-Logo-Transparent

P: 1-855-895-8555

O: www.hhc.ethicspoint.com

"To achieve mutual understanding you must understand what information your colleagues need from you to perform their function, and they must understand what you need from them." Peter Drucker

This E-mail transmission may contain confidential or legally privileged information that is intended only for the individual or entity named in the E-mail address. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or reliance upon the contents of this E-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this E-mail transmission in error, please reply to the sender so arrangements can be made for proper delivery, and then delete the message from your system.

• 28.  RE: Compliance Department Operations Manual

Posted 6 days ago
    ​I have seen other people have flow charts in excel, but I've only made them in Visio.

Analicia Burnett CHC
    Corporate Compliance/Privacy Officer
    Santa Rosa,CA

• 29.  RE: Compliance Department Operations Manual

Posted 6 days ago
    I made a flowchart in Excel just yesterday, capturing the A&M elements we're studying no less! For now, it's just for me. But I see a day in my future when it may be useful to use it to train others in my organization.

• 30.  RE: Compliance Department Operations Manual

Posted 3 days ago

Had no idea and would love a video to understand how it's possible!  J  Mind officially blown!

Thanks,

Ashlee Walden, J.D., CHC

Manager, HIPAA/Compliance

TOA – Central Billing Office

615-278-1682 phone

615-695-1483 fax

TOA Disclaimer: This transmission may contain privileged and confidential information, including patient health information protected by federal and state privacy laws. It is intended only for the use of the person(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution, or duplication of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message. Thank you for your cooperation.

• 31.  RE: Compliance Department Operations Manual

Posted 2 days ago
    You can create ​Flowcharts in Excel?  Who knew?   Not me.  Yes I'd love to learn how

Josita deHaan-Kicmal CHC
    CPO/Asst Compliance Officer
    Surgery Partners

• 32.  RE: Compliance Department Operations Manual

Posted 2 days ago

I would like to learn as well. Thanks!

• 33.  RE: Compliance Department Operations Manual

Posted 3 days ago

Frank,

I am aware that flowcharts can be created in Excel but I never have had much luck doing so. A video would be great.

Charlie

Charles E. Colitre, BBA, CHC, CHPC

Compliance and Privacy Officer

Crystal Clinic Orthopaedic Center

3925 Embassy Parkway, Ste 250

Akron, OH 44333

330 670-6123

Note: The enclosed information is STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL and is intended for the use of the intended recipient only. Federal and Ohio laws protect any patient information that may be disclosed in this e-mail. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this communication in error and that any review, use, dissemination, distribution, disclosure, or copying of the contents is prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and return all printed copies by US Mail to: Crystal Clinic Orthopaedic Center, 3925 Embassy Parkway, Suite 250, Akron, OH 44333, Attention, HIPAA Privacy Officer.

• 34.  RE: Compliance Department Operations Manual

Posted 2 days ago
    ​I would be interested in a video on creating flowcharts in Excel. Thanks, Frank!

Dr. Randy Lewis, LMFT, CHPC
    HIPAA Privacy Officer
    Orange County Government
    Orlando, FL

• 35.  RE: Compliance Department Operations Manual

Posted 2 days ago
    ​I love flowcharts!! And yes, I knew that Excel and Word can be used to create flowcharts but I am not very good at it!
    Thank you

Rhonda Garber CHC,CPC
    Compliance Manager

• 36.  RE: Compliance Department Operations Manual

Posted 6 days ago
    ​Frank, your videos are always very helpful to me, thank you!!

Cinda
    Compliance/Ethics & Privacy Director
    Ohio

• 37.  RE: Compliance Department Operations Manual

Posted 11 hours ago
    I would love to see a training video on how to use/construct flowcharts in Excel.

Carl Russell
    Compliance Analyst
    Delta Dental of Idaho
    Boise,ID

Anything I say is my sole opinion and not of my company.

• 38.  RE: Compliance Department Operations Manual

Posted 2 days ago
    I am interested in learning about flowcharts in Excel as well!

J. Lauren H. Savory, JD
    Director of Corporate Compliance
    Cabell Huntington Hospital
    1340 Hal Greer Blvd.
    Huntington, WV 25701

Office Location:
    517 9TH Street, Suite 2A
    Huntington, WV 25701

Office: (304) 399-4687
    Email: lauren.savory@chhi.org

• 39.  RE: Compliance Department Operations Manual

Posted 6 days ago

I agree with all of the above.

Add a policy which explains the Auditing & Monitoring process; (both E&M and HIPAA Privacy)

·         Define the difference between an audit & monitoring

·         How you perform the audit & monitoring

·         How you determine who needs to be monitoring  (routine vs. focused )

·         Potential Corrective Action Plans (CAP) for over-billing & under-billing (leaving money on the table).

·         Potential disciplinary actions for"chronic issues", so to speak.

If you are really detail oriented; (sorry it is the nurse in me coming out, we had a P & P for everything)

·         Time & Effort reports for contracted providers/Medical Directors (if applicable).

·         Process for Contract review and "Auto renewals"

·         What is your process in assessing Fair Market Value (FMV) & how often do you re-assess FMV.

I hope this helps you.

Patrick R. Guilfoyle BA, RN, BSN, CHPC, CFE

Compliance Manager

Office of Compliance & Corporate Integrity

42 East Laurel Road

Suite # 1300

PO Box 1011

Stratford, NJ 08084

T-856-566-6490

F-856-566-6492

guilfopr@rowan.edu

"Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is  wrong even if everyone is for it."

William Penn

http://www.acfe.com/assets/0/73/4294984697/4294991127/324/c7c03ae7-a6c4-4e6d-a50a-66f782d7bdb0.jpg

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail communication and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged information intended for the designated recipient(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this communication in error and that any review, disclosure, dissemination, distribution or copying of it or its contents is prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify me immediately by replying to this message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you.

• 40.  RE: Compliance Department Operations Manual

Posted 6 days ago
    VIdeo would be great!  I had printed out some instructions awhile back on how to do flowcharts in Excel but never took the time to work thorugh the steps.  A video would push me to actually try to absorb the information and use it!

Marie Wagner CHC,CHRC
    Sr. Corp Compliance Coord
    The Queen's Health Systems
    Honolulu,HI

• 41.  RE: Compliance Department Operations Manual

Posted 3 days ago
    ​Absolutely interested in Flowchart Fridays. I've used other office programs for flowchart construction and didn't know excel could do this too! Thanks Frank.

Karin Pitt CHC
    Compliance Auditor
    Byram Healthcare

• 42.  RE: Compliance Department Operations Manual

Posted 3 days ago
    ​I am very interested Frank!  I don't like to miss any chance to learn from you!  Thank you!

Gayla Smith
    HIM Manager/Compliance

• 43.  RE: Compliance Department Operations Manual