Nonprofit Compliance

Organizational Structure

• 1.  Organizational Structure

Posted 11 days ago
    Hi Everyone,

I have a general question about organizational structure. We are a smaller non-profit with less than 100 employees and we are HIPAA Business Associates. We had a change in structure two years ago and I report through HR with dotted line to the Executive Director.

I'm curious to know where compliance fits in your organization and the area where you report, if it's different than ours and why.

Also, I'm curious to know for those of similar size and compliance requirements, what is the size and structure of your IT department?

Thanks!

Carolyn

------------------------------
    Carolyn Price
    Internal Policy Coord
    CocoKids
    Concord,CA
    2020 HCCA Membership

• 2.  RE: Organizational Structure

Posted 11 days ago
    Hi Carolyn, We are a non-profit mental health and developmental disabilities organization with 500-600 employees spread through out south Texas.  I am the Compliance & Ethics Officer, HIPAA Privacy & Security Officer , and Information Security Officer.  Right now I am under the Legal Counsel and up until recently I was under the IT Director.  I spent 16 years in IT as the Network Administrator with HIPAA as additional duty before moving to compliance full time.  I also have a dotted line to the ED.  Our IT Department has 6 people (7 when I was in it).  A director, a network manager, 3 help desk (1 primarily EHR support and 1 primarily telemedicine), and an admin person.  Hope this helps.

Lloyd Hemmert
    Compliance & Ethics Officer
    Hill Country MHDD Centers
    Kerrville,TX
    [lhemmert@hillcountry.org]

2020 HCCA Membership

• 3.  RE: Organizational Structure

Posted 10 days ago
    Hi
    in my compliance officer role (also bundled with HIPAA) I reported to the President & CEO. As compliance will oversee areas in finance, hr, technology, etc. I think this sort of structure is ideal.

Eman Warraich-Gibson LCSW
    Chief Clinician Officer
    Integrity House
    Newark,NJ

2020 HCCA Membership