Chief Compliance and Ethics Officer Health Care

Goals for next year

• 1.  Goals for next year

Posted 10-11-2019 11:18 AM
    ​​Many of you, like myself, are ending a fiscal year and starting a new one.  With that usually comes the request for goals for the Compliance Department to come up with for next year.

I am looking for ideas of what goals others have sought to achieve.  My goals will be incorporated into my annual Performance Appraisal, and I am guessing yours might too.

I am curious what others have come up with for annual goals.  Thanks for any ideas!

------------------------------
    Ann Dunham
    MBA, SPHR, CHC, CHRC
    Compliance Officer
    Hannibal Regional Healthcare System
    Hannibal, MO
    2019 HCCA Compliance Institute

• 2.  RE: Goals for next year

Posted 10-14-2019 11:15 AM
    Ann, we haven't worked on next year's goals yet but I thought I would share a little of this year's. As you stated, some of my goals are incorporated into my appraisal goals, some are not.

For example a couple of things that are not part of my appraisal goals but I have as my own personal annual goals is to go through both the MEG (Effectiveness of a Compliance Program evaluation) and the Audit Protocol (and yes we have a beefed up dashboard heavy version of that too).

Some of the appraisal goals are very company specific and not of value to mention here. Others though, I actually had the task of going back through all of the Privacy/Breach/BA policies and procedures. I use the E-Tool from ET&C (unsolicited plug here for them) as my source and then adapt it to my health plan. When I did this review a few months ago I looked to see what was there for each policy, see if there was better wording than what I already had, did I miss anything the prior year, that sort of thing. I am always looking for better clarity. Of course if there were any new regulations or changes to our environment that required changes, those would be addressed.

Another item on my appraisal goals was to provide three all-company meeting presentations. I like to create movie presentations using internal personnel. The movies are silly, funny, deliberately low-quality, but bring out a special compliance point. I use PowerPoint for this, generally creating them as self-running presentations. This year in January the presentation was about our new Sanctions policy. I showed a couple of Star Wars clips I got off YouTube to let them know the Sanctions wouldn't be that bad. In May I had an interactive presentation about communication, using some ideas I got from the HCCA CI in Boston. In September my movie was about not leaving PHI face up. It's all a lot of fun.

One item that might be on many people's goals this year as it was on mine is a replacement for the dry CMS Fraud, Waste, and Abuse training CMS (sort-of) required to be taken prior to 2019. As you know that requirement was dropped effective 1/1/2019 for various reasons. We found an electronic replacement FWA course for this year but are looking at creating our own instructor led course for 2020. Ask me next Fall to see how I did.

Carl Russell
    Compliance Analyst, CHPC
    Delta Dental of Idaho
    Boise,ID

Anything I say is my sole opinion and not of my company.

• 3.  RE: Goals for next year

Posted 10-14-2019 11:41 AM
    Thanks Carl.  I appreciate the information.  I am thinking one of my goals might be to revamp the online learning module so this is very helpful!​

Ann Dunham
    MBA, SPHR, CHC, CHRC
    Compliance Officer
    Hannibal, MO

• 4.  RE: Goals for next year

Posted 10-14-2019 01:36 PM
    Ann, a goal you might consider is based on your overall 2019 goals.  For example, for 2019 if you completed 100% of your audits, but find that you completed 60% on-time (based on your pre-determined deadline), then a 2020 goal could be "complete 75% of audits on-time".

David Garrison
    Compliance/Privacy Officer
    SEARHC
    Juneau,AK

• 5.  RE: Goals for next year

Posted 10-14-2019 01:38 PM
    Good idea David, thanks.​

Ann Dunham
    MBA, SPHR, CHC, CHRC
    Compliance Officer
    Hannibal, MO

• 6.  RE: Goals for next year

Posted 10-15-2019 11:25 AM
    Carl,
    What is the ET&C  e-tool you mentioned?

Savannah Knuettel
    Compliance Officer
    Galen Medical Group
    Hixson,TN

The views expressed herein are my own and do not represent those of my employer or clients. They are not meant to constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship.