Privacy Officer's Roundtable

Employee Health test results

• 1.  Employee Health test results

Posted 05-15-2020 12:45 PM
    ​Hi everyone.  I have a scenario I would like help with.  I work for a hospital and our Employee Health Dept needs to send staff to the lab to be tested when they have had a needle stick.  They are being told by our lab that the results should not be in the EMR because this is an employee, not a patient.  Is this what others do?  How do you get your lab system to not send those particular results to your EMR?  Is there a reason you can point me to for a reference as to why they should or should not be included?  If another employer sent their employee here for the same thing, it would go in the EMR.  Thanks in advance.

------------------------------
    Tara Yeaton, RHIT, CHPC
    Director of HIM Operations
    Deputy Privacy Officer
    MaineGeneral Medical Center
    Augusta, Me
    2020 SCCE Membership

• 2.  RE: Employee Health test results

Posted 05-15-2020 01:34 PM
    To me since this is an employment issue it would not be considered PHI.  Whether it's in your EHR or not is up to you, however, I would try to figure out a way to mark it as "non-PHI" as I don't think it could be disclosed unless specifically authorized by the employee.  If it gets disclosed with the employee's PHI that could be a problem.

For us, our EH nurse places a lab order using a unique HRN for the employee.  This prevents the information from going into the EHR, since there's not chart.  The results go into an EH module that only the EH nurse has access to.

David Garrison
    Compliance/Privacy Officer
    SEARHC
    Juneau,AK

2020 SCCE Membership

• 3.  RE: Employee Health test results

Posted 05-15-2020 01:53 PM

Thank you for replying.   We have a process now where the lab staff enter the order and is supposed to mark it so it does not go in the EMR.  It is the human that is making the error by not marking it all the time, as it is not electronically ordered.  I will run with this though and work on finding a way to fix this.  Thank you!

Tara Yeaton, RHIT, CHPC

Deputy Privacy Officer

Director of HIM Operations and Medical Transcription

2020 SCCE Membership

• 4.  RE: Employee Health test results

Posted 05-18-2020 09:38 AM
    We do the same thing as David. It is not PHI and therefore is marked differently in the EMR with a HRN.

Savannah Knuettel
    Compliance Officer
    Galen Medical Group
    Hixson,TN

The views expressed herein are my own and do not represent those of my employer or clients. They are not meant to constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship.

2020 SCCE Membership

• 5.  RE: Employee Health test results

Posted 05-18-2020 02:50 PM

Thank you.  This seems to be the way to go!

Tara Yeaton, RHIT, CHPC

Director of HIM Operations

Deputy Privacy Officer

2020 SCCE Membership