HIPAA

Latest Discussion Posts

• Profile Picture

RE: BAA

I disagree with having Privacy or Compliance review BAA's. I did that for almost 2 years and found the volume to be so high in an academic healthcare setting that it absolutely dominated our time. Given our volume, we gave the day to day operations aspect ...

• Profile Picture

RE: BAA

Jodie, All new vendor packets come through the Compliance & Privacy Office for review. This allows us to ensure a sanction check gets completed and to review the vendor to determine if a BAA is required. At our hospital the BAA policy only allows Chief ...

• Profile Picture

RE: Postcards

I'm assuming your hospice will be identified on the postcard.  I would consider the link between this type of specialty care and a patient as sensitive.  I would recommend against this.  I would not have the same concern if the postcard was from a general ...

• Profile Picture

Thanks for pointing this out.  That is one angle that one needs to be careful of when sending out the postcards as described in this scenario.  If the sender's information can be seen as identifying a particular disease or condition related to the recipient ...

• Profile Picture

Many years ago (over 15), our cancer center sent out such a postcard.  A patient was on vacation and their neighbor received as the neighbor was picking up their mail.  The patient was extremely upset that we had acknowledged her as a cancer patient by ...