General Compliance Topics

View Only
  • 1.  Difference between Quality Management and Compliance and Organizational Compliance

Posted 10-20-2022 09:17 AM
    Does anyone have a definition or differentiation between Organizational Compliance and a limited Quality Management and Compliance department? I need some salient talking points.

Thanks in advance.

Lisa Pitler, JD, MS, RN, CHRC

------------------------------
    Lisa Pitler
    Sr Dir Organizational Compliance and HR
    Alliance for Clinical Trials in Oncology Foundation
    Chicago,IL
    SCCE Membership

• 2.  RE: Difference between Quality Management and Compliance and Organizational Compliance

Posted 10-20-2022 09:49 AM
    Edited by Steve Pavlicek 10-20-2022 09:49 AM
    Hi Lisa,

I need to ask more questions because I don't know the difference and am interested in the distinction 😀

Do both roles oversee compliance with regulatory agencies (DOJ, HHS-OIG, OHRP, FDA..)? or is quality management more overseeing compliance with org structure/workflow/LEAN methodologies/process improvement? Or are both incorrect assumptions?

Stephen (Steve) Pavlicek | Community Engagement Manager
    Society of Corporate Compliance and Ethics
    Health Care Compliance Association
    Office: 952.567.6219 | Mobile: 612.207.3172
    6462 City West Parkway | Eden Prairie, MN 55344

SCCE Membership

• 3.  RE: Difference between Quality Management and Compliance and Organizational Compliance

Posted 10-21-2022 08:18 AM
    For our organization,  the Quality Department deals mainly with patient safety.  They monitor benchmarks of things like falls, pressure ulcers, Stroke metrics, etc.

Our Compliance Department (just me) deals with ensuring employees follow regulations, laws and policies.  I do sit in on the Quality Committee so that I can be aware of what goes on in the Quality world.  I rarely get a report of any Quality complaints - they go to our Risk Department.  If I do get one, I pass it along to Risk and monitor the outcome.

Ann Dunham
    MBA, SPHR, CHC, CHRC
    Compliance Officer
    Hannibal Regional Healthcare System
    Hannibal, MO

SCCE Membership

• 4.  RE: Difference between Quality Management and Compliance and Organizational Compliance

Posted 10-24-2022 06:20 AM
    Hi Lisa,
    In my behavioral health setting the department is responsible for both quality and compliance. We gear quality to managing data and performance related to key measures for program and departmental efficacy, service outcomes and quality of care. Compliance is more concerned with regularity adherence as well as risk management. I hope this is of some help.

Freda Driscoll-Sbar, M.Ed.
    Vice President of Quality and Compliance
    Center for Human Development
    Springfield, MA.

SCCE Membership