Department of One

View Only
  • 1.  Policy and Procedure document management

Posted 10-06-2022 12:51 PM
    I am looking for suggestions on best solutions to manage a small organization's policies and procedures.  Currently the documents are all over the place, making it difficult to find and be confident it is the most recent version.  I have started an Excel spreadsheet, but that would just be a list.  When looking into document management software, what I am finding targets medium to large organizations, with a price tag out of our range and numerous features we would not utilize.

Can anyone share what works for their organization?

Diana

------------------------------
    Diana Bennett
    Corporate Compliance Director
    The Family Counseling Center
    Gloversville, NY
    Default Blank

• 2.  RE: Policy and Procedure document management

Posted 10-07-2022 04:40 AM

Hi Diana,

Does your organization use Confluence or some sort of wiki software that can house documents? If yes, you can leverage that (happy to share more information on the how).

Also, does your organization have a more formal policy approval process? It can help you start achieving version control by having them all go to one place with a copy and establishing an annual review process. 

Hope I was helpful. 

-Patsy

Patsy Serna, MLS, CHC, CPCU
    Director, Corporate Compliance
    Phoenix,AZ

Comments I share are my sole opinion and are not meant to represent my company.

Default Blank

• 3.  RE: Policy and Procedure document management

Posted 10-07-2022 10:42 AM
    Edited by Phillippa Jane Walmsley 10-07-2022 10:42 AM
    We are small and have similar challenges with a limited budget.  We use SmartSheet, which can be shared with multiple people and gives you the ability to attach the latest (and previous versions of) policies, as well as track, sort, assign responsibility, assign due dates, set up email reminders, etc.  I use SS for a lot!  :)

Phillippa Jane Walmsley
    Corporate Compliance Officer
    Westside Family Healthcare, Inc.
    Wilmington,DE

Default Blank

• 4.  RE: Policy and Procedure document management

Posted 10-13-2022 11:35 AM

Good morning Diana.  I understand your challenge regarding policy development and management, even for a small organization.  We are a small facility and yes, at times the management of policies can seem overwhelming.  Currently we use a program called PolicyStat by RL Datix, and it works well for us and comes at a reasonable price.  I wouldn't say I swear by them because it isn't as intuitive as I would like.  There are others, but I don't think you can go wrong with PolicyStat.  Good luck to you and your Center.

Terry K. Baines

Chief Compliance Officer

Southern Indian Health Council, Inc.

Phone:  (619) 445-1188, ext. 554

Cell Phone:  (619) 210-9109

www.sihc.org

"In any moment of decision, the best thing to do is the right thing".  ~Theodore Roosevelt.

The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message, and please delete it from your computer.

Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.

Default Blank

• 5.  RE: Policy and Procedure document management

Posted 10-14-2022 06:21 AM
    Hello Diana. My last position was with a 275-employee organization, so small. Now I work in a company of 1800 employees. We are just now purchasing an application for policy management. Up to this point, the best solution I have found is to organize the approved policies on a shared network drive that all staff can access and is searchable. We agreed upon a file structure that separated the policies by division and sub-folders for program-specific policies. Corporate division policies are in departmental sub-folders per our structure; Fiscal, HR, Compliance, and so on. Each area has a folder for policies in revision.  Only directors and above can access these folders. Rights are set by our IT department. I don't know if this is useful to you, but it was the best solution we had to this point. Best to you.

Freda Driscoll-Sbar, M.Ed.
    Vice President of Quality and Compliance
    Center for Human Development
    Springfield, MA.

Default Blank

• 6.  RE: Policy and Procedure document management

Posted 10-18-2022 01:28 PM
    My company has 400 employees, and we use a SharePoint site to host final copies of all policies, which are then divided by category. That might be a simple way to allow employees to access the policies as read-only.

David Wiltsey
    Director of Compliance Programs
    Chesapeake Employers Insurance Company
    Towson,MD

Default Blank